My Friend Hot Ptah has passed.

Chuck Nessa

Very sad to hear this news, Bill was a nice guy.

I also recall his last post about Covid but also believe I recall a mention here or on Facebook about Multiple Myeloma and if that were true its easy to imagine that a Covid infection could be much more dangerous.  RIP.

33 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Very sad to hear this news, Bill was a nice guy.

I also recall his last post about Covid but also believe I recall a mention here or on Facebook about Multiple Myeloma and if that were true its easy to imagine that a Covid infection could be much more dangerous.  RIP.

Cancer sucks. Cancer plus Covid must've really sucked. Damn. Too young.

I knew Bill through the board better than in person, though I saw him at a few jazz shows about 5 times total over 8 years.

He was a nice and thoughtful guy, and very kind. Joe, my dearest friend in Kansas City, knew Bill quite a bit better than I did — and he introduced us in about 2004 (and Joe called me about Bill’s passing last night).

Bill and his (then) wife had an adult son with developmental challenges (who required their constant supervision), and they made the brave decision not to institutionalize him. This kept Bill from going to very many live shows (maybe once a month, at most). And I think every time I saw Bill in person it was at The Blue Room in KC (and he always brought his son with him, which was usually challenging, and only enabled Bill to stay for one set, at most — and sometimes he had to leave early even from that one set).

But I never saw Bill ever complain, or show anything but an infinite amount of patience with his son. A truly remarkable father.

I also never had the opportunity to get to know Bill much in person — and knew him far better from his presence on the board (and also on the Steve Hoffman Forums).

Bill always seemed like one of the nicest guys you could ever think of.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

23 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

In lieu of flowers, a scholarship fund has been set up with the Wisconsin Alumni Association, Kansas City Chapter. Gifts may be made in Bill’s name at: https://secure.supportuw.org/give/?id=a79b1ee9-305e-45d2-8b2c-ef7a6c5e5a75.