Miles Davis Live Records

Rabshakeh

Another thing about those trees (the ones that I knew about any way), was that there was a code of honor, like you had to "agree" that if ANYTHING you got from them came out legitimately, you were honor bound to buy it. Another code was that you were not to share anything with anybody who didn't clearly understand and agree to the code. Now how much that was adhered to after some point...maybe not so much, because shit ended up on dime and finally, for sale by all these "collector" labels. Say what you will about labels like Moon (or in the LP era, a personal favorite, Alamac), they were filling a vacuum in the market. These days...what vacuum?

4 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Which makes this very Grateful Dead-y. ;)

I will take your word on that one...I avoid anything associated with them like the plague. and it's not like I don't know what I'm missing...I do, and that's why I'm making it a point to miss it! :g

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

The tree basically called on all collectors and they collated the results. I don't know of any of it that wasn't already a known quantity back in the days of cassettes and goodwill.

A lot of this stuff, including most of the 60s tour with Trane, has been "available" for a while, long before the internet. I say "available" because once upon a time, you had to cultivate relationships with individuals just to get a foot in the door of maybe asking somebody for something...and hardcore people would demand material in return. Beginners not allowed.

Dime and stuff like that killed most (but not all!) of that, and maybe not for the better, but shit like Paris 60 with trane...before it was made official (or even semi-official, like the Trema) ..not everybody appreciates that, ok? To them, it's just another gig. And it's not just another gig.

For too long material like this has been cheapened just like any other common whore, there it is, pay your bit of random pocket money, use it and then move on. Or even worse, here it is, take all you want and then come get some more. Something like that (and others like it) deserve more than that. If people don't love it, they shouldn't come after it, and they for damn sure shouldn't have it as part of some random act of gluttony.

If that's "elitist" or something, so be it. I stand firm on it.

Umm, no. Just no.  Wrong answers to wronger questions.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Which makes this very Grateful Dead-y. ;)

You mean in-group elitism masquerading as egalitarian collectivism?

My essential Miles are:

the Newport through the years box

Plugged Nickel

Cellar Door

'69 Lost Quintet box

Agartha/Pangea

Complet blacjhawk 9even though it's coasting to a degree).

1 minute ago, jazzbo said:

No, that's not what I mean. Sheesh.

Of course not, it's obviously a rhetorical device - but were you aware that some people feel that way?  And in a sense, I am agreeing with you: the obsessive attention to detail and clandestine trading of shows is obviously analogous.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Another thing about those trees (the ones that I knew about any way), was that there was a code of honor, like you had to "agree" that if ANYTHING you got from them came out legitimately, you were honor bound to buy it. Another code was that you were not to share anything with anybody who didn't clearly understand and agree to the code. Now how much that was adhered to after some point...maybe not so much, because shit ended up on dime and finally, for sale by all these "collector" labels. Say what you will about labels like Moon (or in the LP era, a personal favorite, Alamac), they were filling a vacuum in the market. These days...what vacuum?

I will take your word on that one...I avoid anything associated with them like the plague. and it's not like I don't know what I'm missing...I do, and that's why I'm making it a point to miss it! :g

No chance you’ve ever heard the Dark Stars from the Europe 72 tour

1 hour ago, Guy Berger said:

IMHO the correlation between “officially released” and “best” live 1955-1975 Miles Davis recordings is close to zero

Yeah, for example the so-called 1972 "On The Corner" band's only official live recording, In Concert , is IMHO the most uninspired...there are several crazy, chaotic, but tremendously powerful live bootlegs from this particular period e.g. From Paul's Mall, Boston, Sep. 14, 1972.

Edited by mhatta

I haven’t heard anywhere near every single bootleg and a lot of this just reflects my personal taste, but I love every live recording I’ve heard from the 1967 and 1969 bands. The 1969 gigs from October/November are particularly mind-boggling.

IMHO the Plugged Nickel stuff is great to have, but is overrated relative to other recordings by that band, probably because it was the only widely available recording for some time.

Re later bands - imho the Cellar Door band was much better w/DeJohnette than Ndugu, and the Cellar Door recordings themselves are amazing.

I’ve really underinvested in listening to the 1972-75 bands’ unofficial recordings and hope to correct that in the coming decades.

I wish that more of these were released as single LP or CDs. I really struggle with box sets. I know that they're value for money, but there's something about having 17 hours of music presented with a "fill your boots lad" attitude that's a real turn off for me. The same goes for compilations of pre 1950s singles. There's nothing to hang your hat on.

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I wish that more of these were released as single LP or CDs.

Truth. For the On The Corner box set (which of course is not live), I put together my own single disc "compilations." It made the listening far more enjoyable and easier to absorb. That's not as easy to do with live sets though.

Amazon has a single disc 1973/1975 Live In Tokyo comp (a boot) that is $4.95 to download. It's called Electric and Brutal. That's a good place to dip one's toe into the (electrified) water.

61Oc7llliSL._SX522_.jpg

My favourites:

• Plugged Nickel
  • Fillmore East box
  • Cellar Door box
  • In Concert
  • Agharta/Pangea 

Bootlegs:

• 1969: Rome, Paris Nov. 3 where Corea and DeJohnette swap places on a track, Stockholm Nov. 5 with a nice version of "Nefertiti" and Chick switching to acoustic
  • 1973: Tokyo and Belgrade. Both are in good sound. Belgrade has some nasty Cosey rhythm guitar and Lucas takes the first solo.
  • 1975: Every single Japan date. Fascinating to hear this band reinvent the material every night. You might get compositions superimposed on each other. For Dave can be a dirge one day and a rocker the next. Maiysha gets stretched out to half an hour on later dates, incorporating more of the Honky Tonk riff. There's one night where Lucas takes a wild solo on Funk instead of Cosey. Jan. 22 is in excellent sound, plus you get Cosey playing drums on the final track.

• 3 weeks later...

Anything by the LOST quintet. Period. My Funny Valentine/ Four and More is hands down my favorite from the second quintet. Love basically Electric Miles up to retirement (1). 

On 3/15/2022 at 9:42 AM, Late said:

Truth. For the On The Corner box set (which of course is not live), I put together my own single disc "compilations." It made the listening far more enjoyable and easier to absorb. That's not as easy to do with live sets though.

Amazon has a single disc 1973/1975 Live In Tokyo comp (a boot) that is $4.95 to download. It's called Electric and Brutal. That's a good place to dip one's toe into the (electrified) water.

61Oc7llliSL._SX522_.jpg

One, wha? Two, this is the most kick-ass pic of Miles I've ever seen.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:48 AM, Late said:

I just realized that I need to spin Black Beauty far more. 

Black_Beauty_Miles_Davis_at_Fillmore_Wes

Yes and yes.