Strata Records / Deep Jazz Reality cd reissues

Harbour

Some of the Strata records reissues that came out as vinyl only releases on 180 Proof a couple of years back are getting cd issues in Japan next month

Sphere - Inside Ourselves

Contemporary Jazz Quintet - Black Hole

Maulawi - Oruntunds

Along with Kenny Cox & Lyman Woodward 

https://merurido.jp/topic.php?srcbnr=56504

Edited by Harbour

50 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Wow. Thanks for the link. Anyone ordered from them before? 

you can't order from that specific site from outside Japan, its a good reference site for news though.

All those cds will be easily available on cd japan, ebay, amazon.jp next month am sure

Anyone familiar with these three titles and able to describe them more objectively than the usual Dusty Groove language?  I'm likely in on all three on CD, as the label is of great interest to me, but would like to know more if possible.  The Cox and the Woodard came out on BBE CD a couple years ago, and I picked them up then.

Maulawi - Oruntunds

Edited by felser

18 minutes ago, felser said:

Anyone familiar with these three titles and able to describe them more objectively than the usual Dusty Groove language?  I'm likely in on all three on CD, as the label is of great interest to me, but would like to know more if possible.  The Cox and the Woodard came out on BBE CD a couple years ago, and I picked them up then.

Maulawi - Oruntunds

All are on YouTube for you to make your own opinion:)

• 3 months later...

yep, kinda how i felt about it, although it was interesting to me that he was in that circle and made that record on that label.

the "jazz-funk" thing, especially during that time...some people were really aiming at "the people"...we had a lot of that going on here. And then there were the people who, that was all they could play. But they played it well, so it was all good. And then, still others who were intentionally "dumbing down (BOO!!!! to them!!!!).

I do like to figure out "intent", though, just for grins, if for no other reason than I like to have at least semi-informed reflexes. :g

Nozero seemed like he could play a fair amount of different things to me -- I guess I expected more of a modern/modal post-Coltrane thing (in a different bag) from him and when I  heard that album I felt it swung too far in the commercial direction for my tastes. Then again, in its original form it is pretty damn rare for a commercial record!