McCoy Tyner & Freddie Hubbard Quintet: Live at Fabrik Hamburg 1986

Pim

Interested . I don´t think Hubbard was past prime, his contributions to VSOP (one of my all time favourite group combinations) 

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

I saw a Tyner/Hubbard quartet with ?  and Al Foster(?) ca. 1982 and it was an inspired evening.

You must love the McCoy Tyner double CD/LP "Four Quartets", all of them Tyner-McBee-Foster, and on each side another soloist: Hubbard, Athur Blythe, Bobby Hutcherson and John Abercrombie. I like them all, Hubbard most of it if I might rate it. I have some difficulties with the Abercrombie combination, strange electric mandoline and somehow not typical Tyner work, other direction.....

23 hours ago, felser said:

Well past Hubbard's prime, can't find a set list.  Onkel Po series is fabulous, surprisingly so in many cases.  Will wait for some feedback before jumping.

As a trumpet player, I believe Freddie was still well on top of his game in the '80s.

Perhaps one could argue he didn't make his best albums as a leader during this time period but his playing was still stellar in my opinion. 

I think the playing on this date is very strong. 

As for the tunes, they're mostly McCoy's.

This is the original list of tunes. I'm not sure they all made it onto the release though.

Inner Glimpse McCoy Tyner

Latino Suite McCoy Tyner

Body and Soul

Neo-Terra Freddie Hubbard

Island Birdie McCoy Tyner

Round Midnight

Blues for Basie McCoy Tyner

What is This Thing Called Love Cole Porter 

7 hours ago, david weiss said:

As a trumpet player, I believe Freddie was still well on top of his game in the '80s.

Perhaps one could argue he didn't make his best albums as a leader during this time period but his playing was still stellar in my opinion. 

I think the playing on this date is very strong. 

Thanks David, all good to know.  The last Hubbard album with "wow" factor for me was 'Outpost', but I didn't hear him live after the VSOP 70's period except for a Dizzy memorial where he and Faddis were showboating, much to Wynton's annoyment.  Those three were the trumpet section in the band that afternoon.

Edited by felser

10 hours ago, felser said:

for a Dizzy memorial where he and Faddis were showboating, much to Wynton's annoyment.  Those three were the trumpet section in the band that afternoon.

to Wynton´s annoyment:lol::lol:...Sure he must have been annoyed if he couldn´t lecture Hub and Faddis about what is jazz. I think he even would have lectured Diz about bop and that what he played in the 70´s 80´s "is not jazz, because he dared to use fender bass and would play "Alma" with a rock beat......:lol:). Wynton as I have the impression would have liked to be the "jazz police", the one who tells the others what´s jazz and what not...

The last Hubbard release I recall creating a bit of a stir was ‘Live at Fat Tuesdays’. I remember being in a rental car in central NYC circa 1992 and (of course) turning the radio on to check out some radio jazz. On the airwaves was Freddie featured on that album with a very OTT enthusiastic DJ who in retrospect must have been Alan Grant. In the cold light of day, that album, although lively, is somewhat erratic.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, Quasimado said:

He's right about that damned Fender and rock beat! :angry:

You mean Wynton´s statements in that direction. Okay, will be heaven on earth for those who only like acoustic jazz. 

But let´s say, from my point of view: I was born in 1959, Wynton I think is 3 years younger. 1959 born means I kinda grew up in the period when Fender and rock beat was just the style of the decade, just as bop was in the 40´s  and Free was in the 60´s . 
And I remember when an "acoustic only fan" once approached alto player Allan Praskin (who had recorded for ESP in the 60´s and moved in Europe to stay and play and teach) and told him that Diz (referring to his then current quartets with el-guitar, el-bass and drums, playing some backbeat stuff like "Unicorn" "Land of Milk and Honey" etc. ) doesn´t play bebop anymore, and Mr. Praskin answered "Dizzy IS Bebop, he doesn´t have to "play bebop, he IS bebop.....period !". 
So for me as part of the 70´s movements in jazz and only 3 years older than Wynton it sounds strange to me if a guy comes up and makes such stubborn statements....., I think there was an interview with both Wynton and Branford in DB at that time, and Branford had a more tolerant approach towards beyond acoustic movements......though he is a year or two older than Wynton.....

I think the last album that Freddie Hubbard could really play was The Eternal Triangle (1987). After that, his tone became scruffy due to a lip ailment or something.  Live at Fat Tuesday's (1991) is not bad, but it does not hide his decline.

Edited by mhatta

37 minutes ago, mhatta said:

I think the last album that Freddie Hubbard could really play was The Eternal Triangle (1987). After that, his tone became scruffy due to a lip ailment or something.  Live at Fat Tuesday's (1991) is not bad, but it does not hide his decline.

Must look to find those two BN´s "Double Talk" and "Eternal Triangle". They must be highlights and I hope they are on CD, since some strange things happened at BN , that they didn´t put some of their 80´s stuff on CD. Same with the great "Jackie McLean - McCoy -It´s about Time".......

You mention this was one of the last times when Hubbard was in full power before his lip ailment. How does Woody sound ? I saw him for the last time also in 1987 booked only with a local rhythm section and playing standards, I couldn´t believe it, he was not in the same shape as in 1983 and it is a painful memory....., such a tragedy what happened to those to greatest trumpet players....

27 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Must look to find those two BN´s "Double Talk" and "Eternal Triangle". They must be highlights and I hope they are on CD, since some strange things happened at BN , that they didn´t put some of their 80´s stuff on CD. Same with the great "Jackie McLean - McCoy -It´s about Time".......

Both of those CDs are available as a two-fer: https://www.discogs.com/release/12618078-Freddie-Hubbard-And-Woody-Shaw-The-Freddie-Hubbard-And-Woody-Shaw-Sessions

This clip is the same tune by almost the same band (plus Joe Henderson) from the same period.  Looks promising!

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

You mention this was one of the last times when Hubbard was in full power before his lip ailment. How does Woody sound ? I saw him for the last time also in 1987 booked only with a local rhythm section and playing standards, I couldn´t believe it, he was not in the same shape as in 1983 and it is a painful memory....., such a tragedy what happened to those to greatest trumpet players....

Woody's recording "with a local rhythm section and playing standards" in 1987 reminds me of In My Own Sweet Way.  I think it's quite okay, one of my favorites, but I understand Woody's life was already going downhill at that time and his playing also..Also, Bemsha Swing (1986) is not talked about much, but I think that one is quite good too.

I found this clip from 1987, and Woody seems to be still in his prime...

• 3 weeks later...

If we are talking cds rather than lps, at $21.97 Importcds.com seems to have the lowest price.  Including shipping and handling and tax, my total cost was $26.96.  Importcds still had copies of the Gil Evans when I ordered earlier this morning. However, it indicated the Tyner/Hubbard was on back order.  Importcds priced both issues the same.

Amazon.com appears to have both. It lists the Tyner/Hubbard at, $26.99 + tax.  As for the Gil Evans, amazon currently wants $29.99 + tax.  At a total cost of $32.38, I saved a $5+ with importcds.