Recommendation Sought: book on stereo systems

GA Russell

Maybe this is like Martin Mull saying that writing about music is like dancing about architecture, but...

Whenever I read a stereo component catalogue or Stereophile Magazine (which I see is now available at Amazon for $5.00), I can guess what the writers are saying, but I don't really know.

Amazon has a number of books available about stereo systems.

Can anyone recommend a book which, inter alia, defines the many terms used in components' descriptions; and also describes why certain concepts are considered more desirable than others?

Thanks!

I could probably use something like this myself.

Even at the age of 53, I barely know anything about stereo systems — and I have to confess I’ve never owned a stereo system in my life, that wasn’t either an integrated system, like a bookshelf system — or a basic (cheap) component system that was purchased as a pre-matched set of components.

I haven’t the foggiest notion of what works with what, or what to watch out for in terms of matching components with each other, or with various sizes/kinds of speakers, etc.

17 hours ago, mjzee said:

Thanks, Michael!  I've put it in my cart.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Michael, my copy will arrive Wednesday!

Great; let me know your thoughts.  My reaction was: it reaffirmed (or reminded me of) many things I learned in the '70's, which was the last time I paid a lot of attention to the subject; and it brought me up to date on developments since that time, especially connections between devices and the digital/streaming revolution.  Obviously, it can't replicate the actual aural experience of testing/comparing systems, and it (sadly) reminded me that so much of this is a rich person's game.  I wish there was more guidance as to putting together a "middle-class" home system - not too rich, not too poor, but just right.  But in terms of what goes on inside those electronic boxes, it's a good resource.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:42 AM, mjzee said:

I wish there was more guidance as to putting together a "middle-class" home system - not too rich, not too poor, but just right.  

I owe you, Michael!  I am learning so much.

Not long ago, I was told that the NAD company specializes in value.  I remember a classmate so many years ago raving about an NAD component of his.  I think it was a cassette deck.  I wish the author would mention brands he likes.

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

Not long ago, I was told that the NAD company specializes in value.  I remember a classmate so many years ago raving about an NAD component of his.  I think it was a cassette deck.  I wish the author would mention brands he likes.

My current stereo has many components from Emotiva.  They sell direct to consumers from their website, and their products sound great for the money.  (I wouldn't recommend their CD deck, though.)

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

My current stereo has many components from Emotiva.  They sell direct to consumers from their website, and their products sound great for the money.  (I wouldn't recommend their CD deck, though.)

Here is one man's (from cnet) opinions regarding value-priced components.

He mentions the Emotiva BasX A-100 integrated amplifier, the Emotiva Airmotiv B1 speakers and the NAD C 538 CD player.

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-audiophiliac-best-affordable-audio-guide/

I find the concept of buying speakers online (without auditioning) problematic.  How can you know in advance whether you'll find their sound appealing?

Having said that, I'm nonetheless intrigued by Monitor Audio's Silver 500 7G loudspeaker.  They're $3,200/pair, which doesn't seem "middle class."  However, in the realm of other speakers reviewed by Stereophile, they're comparatively dirt cheap.  I was especially struck by the quality of the rave review - this is not a typical positive review in Stereophile for anything less than $20k/pair.  The review ends: "At $3200 for the pair, the Monitor Audio Silver 500 is one of the great audio deals of the pandemic era."  See for yourself: https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-500-7g-loudspeaker

I stopped reading Stereophile decades ago. They peddle so much snake oil, it's ridiculous.

15 hours ago, mjzee said:

I find the concept of buying speakers online (without auditioning) problematic.  How can you know in advance whether you'll find their sound appealing?

I agree 100% with this. I have never bought speakers without hearing them first.

24 minutes ago, bresna said:

I stopped reading Stereophile decades ago. They peddle so much snake oil, it's ridiculous.

Absolutely. Stopped around 20 years ago. I still remember one of their big columnists (Jonathan something?) constantly singing the praises of "Shun Mook resonators". Thought I'd slipped through a wormhole to some kind of alternate universe.