Sun Ra album cover art book

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2022 at 0:48 PM, clifford_thornton said:

yes, my friend Chris is responsible for making this happen. It's going to be incredible, totally next level.

I made one of my infrequent trips to Kingston today (for work) and heard that "the guy who put together the book" (Chris?) runs (owns?) a record shop there. Appropriately named Rocket Number Nine. I would have visited on general principles (though I no longer own a turntable or do vinyl), but the shop is closed Wednesdays. Never heard of the place until yesterday, but have long been a customer of the other nearby establishment (which fairly recently moved to Kingston).

Now I'm definitely in for the book.

• 11 months later...

Does anybody know what happened to Claude Dangerfield, who began doing artwork for Sun Ra as a teenager in the 1950s? John Szwed’s excellent Sun Ra bio doesn’t list Dangerfield in the index, while the Fantagraphics book mentions him several times, but only (as far as I can tell) in the context of the late 1950s/early 60s. I really like the covers he did, used and unused, for Saturn. 

On 3/22/2022 at 12:48 PM, clifford_thornton said:

yes, my friend Chris is responsible for making this happen. It's going to be incredible, totally next level.

You were quite correct, sir! 

Sun Ra's Chicago by William Sites mentions Dangerfield briefly but doesn't say anything about what happened to him... I just looked around a bit and came up with the following basic info: Claude Ruben Dangerfield, born 15 September 1931 as son of Claude Dangerfield Sr and Anna Gamble in Chicago. Married Barbara Joyce Cotledge on 8 December 1961 in Jackson, Mississippi. Died 6 November 1988 in Los Angeles. Final address 2118 West El Segundo Apt 6 in Gardena CA 90249, survived by his wife Barbara.

3 hours ago, Niko said:

Sun Ra's Chicago by William Sites mentions Dangerfield briefly but doesn't say anything about what happened to him... I just looked around a bit and came up with the following basic info: Claude Ruben Dangerfield, born 15 September 1931 as son of Claude Dangerfield Sr and Anna Gamble in Chicago. Married Barbara Joyce Cotledge on 8 December 1961 in Jackson, Mississippi. Died 6 November 1988 in Los Angeles. Final address 2118 West El Segundo Apt 6 in Gardena CA 90249, survived by his wife Barbara.

Art Pepper was born in Gardena.

Incidentally, just days ago received this book, but haven't opened it yet. 

Edited by Dmitry