Mingus Three expanded

felser

Rhino is coming out with an expanded 2-CD set of the Mingus trio album with Hampton Hawes.  8 bonus cuts, six are alternate takes, and two are blues improvisations.  At $22, I will probably pass, as I find the original album to be routine rather than special ('Money Jungle' with Ellington is special).

I am friends on Facebook with the person who found the tapes. There was nothing in the logs indicating Sonny Clark was involved at all, so he is not getting credit.

Supposedly Hampton Hawes in his book mentions Sonny Clark playing the ending for one tune. Do we know which piece and has anyone confirmed it?

Edited by bertrand

I have not read Hampton Hawes' autobiography, but from memory I think somebody said it was supposed to be the end of I Can't Get Started. It was certainly an out-of-tune ending to hear, and it would not be surprising if Sonny Clark, who was supposed to be a spectator, played it. But it wouldn't be strange if Hawes came back from the bathroom after running "errands" and rushed to play it. Is there any conversation audio recorded in the studio?

BTW, I really like Mingus Three -- while many of the songs are mediocre, I think "Dizzy Moods" is a small masterpiece.  Hamp really "blows" melancholically.

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

I am friends on Facebook with the person who found the tapes. There was nothing in the logs indicating Sonny Clark was involved at all, so he is not getting credit.

Supposedly Hampton Hawes in his book mentions Sonny Clark playing the ending for one tune. Do we know which piece and has anyone confirmed it?

Book doesn't say which tune.

"...Sonny came to the studio with me, and though he isn't listed under personnel he played the ending on one of the tracks because I was back in the bathroom fixing again.. We got paid after the gig - Charles gave Sonny five dollars for his two chords - and you know we went straight to Harlem and got blind that night..."

It's complicated. I remember Kenny Barron, in notes to the People Time recording, discussing an incident with Stan Getz. Some time in the 1984-1986 period,

...The next day, Stan called. He was very apologetic, and explained that he ended the recording session so abruptly because he felt embarrassed about the way he was playing. He also explained that he felt a little intimidated because this was the first recording he had ever done, or attempted to do, while sober...

[Other interesting material omitted for brevity]

Sometimes the drugs(including drink) free up mental energy and blocks from anxiety and other plagues and aid the player, and can even ease muscle motion. Not always, and not for everyone. But that can be an allure--especially if it has happened before.

There are many other professions occupied by chronic drug users. In Germany it seems that most bricklayers cannot build in a straight line without their daily dose of beer.

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Sometimes the drugs(including drink) free up mental energy and blocks from anxiety and other plagues and aid the player, and can even ease muscle motion. Not always, and not for everyone. But that can be an allure--especially if it has happened before.

I have played with several guys who were not able to relax and play with some confidence without at least a bottle of beer. Remember the many accounts of bottles passed around for recordings sessions. A friend reported of a drummer giving a clinic in his store after downing a bottle of rum! 

3 hours ago, Milestones said:

I can see a possible mental/emotional advantage, but you'd think the physical effects would be detrimental.

In the long run, definitely. Charlie Parker was reported to have said "I never play better than when I am stone sober".

58 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

I have played with several guys who were not able to relax and play with some confidence without at least a bottle of beer. Remember the many accounts of bottles passed around for recordings sessions. 

IIRC Coltrane can be heard asking, "Where's the beer opener?" at the end of a take on the Davis session(s) that produced Workin', Relaxin' etc.

14 minutes ago, T.D. said:

I've attended concerts where the headliner was so obviously drunk that performance was degraded.

Yes. Freddie Hubbard ruined the only time I got to see Herbie, Wayne, Ron and Tony--he arrived late, very drunk, got irate at an audience member during the first number he participated in and walked off. The show ended with 35 minutes of playing time. Sigh.

• 1 month later...

cover-d10881f5e81f4f6b8fbd5506a1e0e26b-h

CELEBRATE MINGUS' CENTENNIAL BIRTHDAY TODAY

REFRESH YOUR JAZZ PLAYLIST WITH

MINGUS THREE

DELUXE EDITION OUT NOW

INCLUDING JAZZ STANDARDS "YESTERDAY," "I CAN'T GET STARTED" AND "LAURA"

TWO MINGUS ORIGINALS "BACK HOME BLUES"

AND "DIZZY MOODS"

Rhino / Parlophone Celebrate Jazz Month And Honor The Icon’s Legacy With A New Deluxe Edition Of His 1957 Album, Mingus Three, Featuring Eight Recently Discovered Unreleased Session

2CD, 2LP, And Digital Versions Are Available Today, On His Birthday

“I look forward to the day when we can transcend labels like jazz and acknowledge Charles Mingus as the major American composer that he is.” – Guggenheim Foundation

“For sheer melodic and rhythmic and structural originality, his compositions may equal anything written in Western music in the 20th century.” – The New Yorker

Mingus was something else, man. A pure genius, I loved him.” – Miles Davis

LOS ANGELES – Rhino / Parlophone is celebrating Jazz Appreciation Month with one of the most influential figures in 20th-century American music, Charles Mingus, who would have turned 100 today, April 22. This year, Mingus’ legacy is in the spotlight with the release of the deluxe edition of his album, Mingus Three, for his centenary as a virtuoso bass player, an accomplished pianist, bandleader, and composer.

Rhino/Parlophone salutes Mingus with an updated version of his 1957 trio recording with pianist Hampton Hawes and drummer Dannie Richmond. The seven original tracks have been expanded for the upcoming release, with eight previously unreleased session recordings discovered by chance recently in the London Parlophone vaults. The bonus tracks include different takes for all but one album track (“Laura”), plus two blues originals.

MINGUS THREE: DELUXE EDITION is available today, April 22 – Mingus’ birthday – as a 180-gram double-LP set ($34.98) and as a double-CD set ($24.98). The music is also available on digital and streaming services today.

The music comes in a replica of the original record sleeve issued by Jubilee Records and a booklet featuring photos from the era. The set also includes new liner notes written by jazz arranger and pianist Sy Johnson, who collaborated with Mingus in the 1970s and helped arrange his 1972 album, Let My Children Hear Music.

He writes: “The Mingus Three session was booked for July 9, 1957. Mingus and Hawes brought their histories to the studio: Mingus with a long, powerful record of activism, outrage, and political attack anchored in serious music-making, and Hawes’ fanfare of jazz awards and huge success—and he could play!! The date would ultimately become a dialogue between Mingus and Hawes with punctuation from Richmond.”

Mingus recorded the session in a day with Hawes, a childhood friend who’d been in bands with Charlie Parker and Dexter Gordon, and drummer Dannie Richmond, whose association with the bassist lasted over two decades. Mingus Three included four standards (“Yesterdays,” “I Can’t Get Started,” “Summertime,” and “Laura”), two Mingus originals (“Back Home Blues” and “Dizzy Moods”), and a group jam “Hamp’s New Blues.”

The bonus material provides a fresh glimpse into the principal players and offers alternate – not lesser – versions of album tracks, including swinging takes of “Summertime” and “Hamp’s New Blues.”

Mingus’s music continues to reach new audiences through artists like Mingus Big Band (directed by his widow Sue Mingus), Kamasi Washington, Chrissie Hynde (whose latest album includes a Mingus cover), Candace Springs, Elvis Costello, Gang Starr (who samples him), and Joni Mitchell (who wrote lyrics to his music). His musical legacy is still ongoing and will continue to play an essential role in music history for many generations to come.

# # #

[facebook.com]icon_facebook.png[twitter.com]icon_twitter.png[instagram.com]icon_instagram.png[soundcloud.com]icon_soundcloud.png[itunes.com]icon_applemusic.png[spotify.com]icon_spotify.png[google.com/music]icon_googleplaymusic.png[youtube.com/music]icon_youtubemusic.png[tiktok.com]icon_tiktok.svg
  Artist Title Time    

Charles Mingus Yesterdays (feat. Hampton Hawes & Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 04:14    
  Charles Mingus Back Home Blues (feat. Hampton Hawes & Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 05:31    
  Charles Mingus I Can't Get Started (feat. Hampton Hawes & Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 06:30    
  Charles Mingus Hamp's New Blues (feat. Hampton Hawes & Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 03:53    
  Charles Mingus Summertime (feat. Hampton Hawes & Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 04:39    
  Charles Mingus Dizzy Moods (feat. Hampton Hawes & Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 06:55    
  Charles Mingus Laura (feat. Hampton Hawes & Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 06:35    
  Charles Mingus Untitled Blues - Take 1 (feat. Hampton Hawes and Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 06:57    
  Charles Mingus Untitled Blues - Take 2 (feat. Hampton Hawes and Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 03:27    
  Charles Mingus Back Home Blues - Take 6 - Incomplete (feat. Hampton Hawes and Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 03:11    
  Charles Mingus Hamp's New Blues - Take 4 (feat. Hampton Hawes and Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 04:18    
  Charles Mingus I Can't Get Started - Take 4 (feat. Hampton Hawes and Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 08:11    
  Charles Mingus Yesterdays - Take 2 - Incomplete (feat. Hampton Hawes and Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 00:56    
  Charles Mingus Dizzy Moods - Take 2 (feat. Hampton Hawes and Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 05:57    
  Charles Mingus Summertime - Take 3 (feat. Hampton Hawes and Danny Richmond) [2022 Remaster] 04:34