Mingus Three expanded

felser

Somehow it never got an entry in my collection. 

Maybe when I saw it I just didn´t want to by another "piano trio" album. 

About beer at sessions, I couldn´t do it. It slows you down. After a session of a gig it was fine. One good drafted beer and a cigarette to relax. But for some years I haven´t been drinkin an alcoolic beer, I got used to non-alcoolic beer. Only the cigarette after the gig remained.

Never took drugs so I don´t have any idea how you react to it. 
Once a guy shared a reefer with me, but I couldn´t feel nothing special about it. I think it made me somehow depressed or not so optimistic feelin and after that half reefer I saw no reason why to smoke this instead of a cigarette....

About Hampton Hawes on piano: I don´t have very very much of him on record. I like his solos on a Wardell Gray live album from the early 50´s were they play mostly bop standards like Donna Lee and so on. But something about his playing is more straight hammered on this. Hampton said he was the nearest thing to Bud Powell, but I don´t hear that. 

He´s got a helluva technique but I don´t hear something as special as I heard in other pianists. 

Strange to say, I really like his fender rhodes playing on the 1973 Montreux Things with Dexter and Gene Ammons....

On 3/25/2022 at 7:25 PM, mhatta said:

I have not read Hampton Hawes' autobiography, but from memory I think somebody said it was supposed to be the end of I Can't Get Started. It was certainly an out-of-tune ending to hear, and it would not be surprising if Sonny Clark, who was supposed to be a spectator, played it. But it wouldn't be strange if Hawes came back from the bathroom after running "errands" and rushed to play it. Is there any conversation audio recorded in the studio?

It's interesting to the compare the 2 takes of "Started": we now have.  I like  the piano playing on the presumably earlier take much more than that on the originally released take.  The solo on the new one is at times even a bit Monkish. Maybe the trip  to the bathroom  was between takes and it  smoothed the edges too much.