Vinyl issues

Pim

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

How do you make DDD sound better on vinyl? Different, maybe, but better?

I'm more concerned about ADD or AAD.  Many of these vinyl reissues don't specify whether the source material was analog or digital.  And as far as I'm concerned, if you are listening to digital on an LP, you get the drawbacks of both media and the advantages of neither.

On 29/03/2022 at 9:14 AM, Pim said:

I once had it the other way around. I ordered some Waldron LP's from madpierrot trough Discogs. The guy had some negative feedback which is mostly for his lack of communication. But the vinyl was 10$ a record where other sellers we're asking 40$ or even more for the same record. Madpierrot rated both media and sleeve all as VG. The possibility for combined shipping of these rare items made me take the risk and order them. They arrived and were all almost nm records. I was so happy with that haul!

Happily I've experienced this too - especially when VG grade records turn out to just be dirty and sound great after a clean!

Most Discogs sellers will try to put things right in my experience. More annoying is buying a used record in person that looks in good order then getting it home and discovering someone's been playing it with a rusty nail... thankfully they're generally pulls from the £2 boxes so I'm happy to just chalk them up as 'misses. All good fun!

2 hours ago, paulfromcamden said:

Happily I've experienced this too - especially when VG grade records turn out to just be dirty and sound great after a clean!

Most Discogs sellers will try to put things right in my experience. More annoying is buying a used record in person that looks in good order then getting it home and discovering someone's been playing it with a rusty nail... thankfully they're generally pulls from the £2 boxes so I'm happy to just chalk them up as 'misses. All good fun!

I have found that true as well. I've bought a few LPs graded VG+ or VG that skipped in numerous spots, even after cleaning, I've always had no problem getting a full refund (including shipping). As a rule, I try not to list anything that I don't believe to be playable, but I know that high volume sellers don't have the time to do much more than superficial grading at a glance.

I find it slightly annoying if you buy a new pressing and it has problems. I’m much more forgiving with used vinyl because, hey, it’s used and you don’t expect perfection, not to mention less expensive; new TPs are $40.