Tyrone Washington - ROOTS!!! (first ever CD reissue)

Rooster_Ties

Anybody else from DC want a copy? I’m thinking of putting in a preorder from Dusty Groove (a new-ish DG option, which I’ve never used before) — which appears to have a flat rate of $3 for shipping, regardless of the number of CD’s in the order.

DG’s regular 1st class shipping for one CD is $3.90 — so if three of us ordered (on the same pre-order), that’d save us almost $3 each in shipping.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else ordered “Roots” on CD yet? If you get your copy in hand by June 4th or 5th, could you let me know if it’s a needle-drop, and how it sounds?

(I’ve got one on an open order at Dusty Groove that I have to close by June 5th — and I’m asking for a buddy here on DC who might want one too, but has some hesitation about whether it might be a needle-drop.)

On 5/30/2022 at 7:26 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Has anyone else ordered “Roots” on CD yet? If you get your copy in hand by June 4th or 5th, could you let me know if it’s a needle-drop, and how it sounds?

(I’ve got one on an open order at Dusty Groove that I have to close by June 5th — and I’m asking for a buddy here on DC who might want one too, but has some hesitation about whether it might be a needle-drop.)

I honestly can't tell if it's a needle-drop or not. I certainly don't hear any LP artifacts--I think it is from a tape.

It's a bit brighter a mastering than I'd like but that's its only fault.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 1:29 PM, jazzbo said:

I honestly can't tell if it's a needle-drop or not. I certainly don't hear any LP artifacts--I think it is from a tape.

It's a bit brighter a mastering than I'd like but that's its only fault.

No 'surface noise', at least none that I can hear.  Agree about the mastering being bright, but that's pretty much exactly how the LP sounds too (so a 'faithful' reproduction, for better or worse).  I'd forgotten there was one track that Tyrone plays flute throughout (no tenor).

Band is solid, I think everyone plays really well throughout.

Roots (1973) is the first recorded appearance by drummer Clifford Barbaro, and the same year as the first recordings that Hubert Eaves III (piano) every recorded on (he was on 4 albums total that year, and Roots has a 1 in 4 chance of being his first).  Stafford James had a dozen albums he'd been on by the end of 1973 (starting in 1970, with Sun Ra of all things -- didn't have any idea James had ever recorded with Ra, on Night of the Purple Moon).

Halfway lengthy liner notes, but they're all in Japanese -- wish I knew what they said.

Definitely glad to have this on CD finally, about 20 years after I first heard the album.  Always figured we'd get this on CD eons before Do Right.

17 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

No 'surface noise', at least none that I can hear.  Agree about the mastering being bright, but that's pretty much exactly how the LP sounds too (so a 'faithful' reproduction, for better or worse).  I'd forgotten there was one track that Tyrone plays flute throughout (no tenor).

Roots (1973) is the first recorded appearance by drummer Clifford Barbaro, and the same year as the first recordings that Hubert Eaves III (piano) every recorded on (he was on 4 albums total that year, and Roots has a 1 in 4 chance of being his first).  Stafford James had a dozen albums he'd been on by the end of 1973 (starting in 1970, with Sun Ra of all things -- didn't have any idea James had ever recorded with Ra, on Night of the Purple Moon).

Halfway lengthy liner notes, but they're all in Japanese -- wish I knew what they said.

Definitely glad to have this on CD finally, about 20 years after I first heard the album.  Always figured we'd get this on CD eons before Do Right.

:tup

• 6 months later...
On 6/15/2022 at 10:08 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

Finally pulled the trigger on this. Had been put off by the first track (Stevie Wonder cover) which failed to impress, but the other tracks are so strong that I relented. Not overly concerned about sound quality; what I heard on Youtube (from LP) was really bright so brightness won't be a surprise.