BFT 217

randyhersom

1 - Love it. Heebie Jeebies baby! During the scatting, it's just him singing with the banjo being plucked and it's lovely. At least I think it's a banjo and not a guitar...."I just gotta have the Heebies!"

2 -  Someone is making that clarinet sing. This song has to go well with one of those sweltering NO summer nights. 

3 - Another jam that's just a pleasure to listen to. I'm not familiar enough with this style to make a guess. I really like how these compositions were approached, with solos accompanied by just one other instrument. Seems to build tension that gets released when more of the ensemble joins in. 

4 - Interesting flute solo mixed in there, which to me was unexpected. 

5 - Dig that bass. This is almost proto-funk in a way. 

6 - Solo sax was not expected either. No guesses

7 - This one's got layers. Basie or Ellington? Song is a classic but the title is escaping me...This will be guessed 100% by others immediately I'm sure. 

8 - Ode to Coleman Hawkins. No idea who this is as I've never heard the song. 

9 - Lots of control from the sax player. Simmering creeper of a song. I don't think that's Hutch on the vibes but I could be wrong. That violin kind of snuck up on me at the end. 

10 - Sounds like something maybe Randy Weston would compose. Hard to pick out any particular style from the horn players, at least for me. Interesting song. The end portion that filters down to the percussion is nice. 

11 - I'll have to revisit this one. Not hitting for me at the moment and I don't want to slag it. Start-stop-accelerate into frantic isn't in my Friday AM bag. 

12 - Like the piano right off. The whole rhythm section has it together actually. Would love to know who's involved here as I can't name it. 

I got no idea on the theme. Enjoyable session though. 

1. I see we have some old-time stuff.  This first track is Satchmo doing “Heebie Jeebies.”  Very enjoyable and just hits the spot this morning.    
  2. Ah, Ellington with “Creole Love Call.”  Great, great track—just about at the top (for me) among Ellington’s early recordings. 
  3. We keep on with early jazz.  Some of this stuff is hard for me to identify.  This is another enjoyable track.  Nice ensemble work, and I really like what the tuba contributes.
  4. This sounds a bit like Ellington from a few years in—maybe late 30s.  But probably not.  It sounds a little too smooth. Then some flute in there, which is unlike Duke.  I don’t recall the flute appearing until maybe the last decade of his career.  This is a nice track, but doesn’t have the timeless appeal of the first two tracks on the BFT.
  5. I was never a big follower of early piano.  This is pretty cool and has hints of a more modern approach, moving away from stride and boogie woogie styles.
  6. That sure sounds like Coleman Hawkins.  If not, someone with his kind of mastery.  A solo piece, it appears.  Is this his first solo piece, which is famous.  I should know the title. …ah, “Picasso.”
  7. “Woody ‘n You”…that certainly sounds like Dizzy.  Nice chart and performance.
Edited by Milestones

8)  “Body and Soul” with lyrics that pay tribute to Hawkins.  Cool enough, and I know that voice. 

9)  Now we have quite a change with this soulful and noirish tenor sax.  It could anywhere from the 1950’s to today. I’m guessing it’s closer to our present time.  Some vibes, nice…that’s an instrument that I think is under-utilized in jazz.

10)  Cool ensemble with baritone sax pretty much leading.  I like the ensemble sound, but it’s a little static.  Now picking up a bit.  Could this be World Saxophone Quartet with rhythm?  Wait, it’s “When the Saints Go Marching In.”  Interesting.

11) We seem now to have moved fully into avant garde territory. This one doesn’t do much for me.

12)  Sounds like some 60’s Blue Note…maybe early Freddie Hubbard.  Maybe it’s Booker Little?   Andrew Hill on piano and leading? 

Track 1: Armstrong Hot Five w Johnny Dodds & King Ory c.1925.

Track 2: Ellington in the later 20s: "Creole Love Song" clarinet trio?, Bubber Miley?

Track 5: Earl Hines?

Track 6: Solo Hawkins, a track he made for Granz. Was it called "Picasso"?

Track 7: Hawkins again. Early version of "Woody'n You". Early Dizzy c.1942/3.

Wasn't expecting you to slide quite so far back, but man, this test covers some GROUND!  RANDY!
maxresdefault.jpg
My browser keeps singing that there are responses, so I decided to get in early on this one.

Track 01 - I mean, I assume Louis.  No idea beyond that.  Not opposed to it, but don't really understand it relative to later music (I mean, I get it as a building block, but the recordings and what they're playing are always underwhelming to me -- get ready for the shit storm!).  David Murray had a live recording of Bechet's Bounce where the reviewer said, "Murray's solo is silly."  I felt entirely the opposite -- I felt he absolutely captured the feel of Bechet.  Because of things like that, I'm never sure what I'm supposed to say on this this stuff.  It's admirable for it's time, but I'll never reach for it as my first choice.

Track 02 - That would be Mr. Edward Kennedy.  Can I name the tune?  No.  Maybe Creole Love Call, now that I think about it.  I'm positive I have this in one of the massive box sets.  I really appreciate the vocalist on this.  BT dubs -- happy birthday to Harry Carney!

Track 03 - No clue.  Is it just me or are these recordings SUPER quiet?  I've got the headphones on with the volume jacked, and I'm struggling.  The one thing I WILL give all music of this period, is that they err on the side of melody, which is a good thing.  

Track 04 - No idea on this.  Not enamored of that saxophone style.  Period-appropriate, but doesn't really speak to me. The trummpet has what I refer to above -- stays within the tune, and I really enjoy the arrangement behind the soloists.  Funny that the flute solo could easily be from the 50s, but the other horns are so antiquated.

Track 05 - This is probably not even ten year's forward, but sounds so much more relevant to my ear.  Lots of finger embellishments.  Maybe Fatha Hines?  

Track 06 - Surely seems to have a Hawk bent, but doesn't seem so cocky as Hawk.  Warm tenor sound and beautiful ideas with a solid rhythmic foundation.  Possibly early Illinois?

Track 07 - A little Woody'n You.  One of the first tunes I learned upon purchasing my first fakebook.  Assume a Dizzy project, but that sure sounds like Hawk, particularly on the outchorus.  Upon second listening, not at all convinced that the first tenor appearance is Hawk.  Sounds more like Don Byas to me.  That second tenor, just before the outchorus, that HAS to be Hawk.

Track 08 - Giant leap into the future, here.  Mr. Jefferson, for sure.  So Hawk is the semi-theme.  Pretty sure this is from this.  Despite the horrible sound of the piano on this recording, that sure sounds like Barry Harris.  I know this is in my collection, so I'll commit to the ID.

Track 09 - Nice ballad, nice tenor sound, though perhaps a page forward from my usual happy zone.  I can only say who it is not.  It's NOT Bobby.  Has that mid-late 70s feel.  Feel like I am warm on the tenor, but I have no guess.  Something about that glissando movement.  Sounds close to My One And Only Love, but I'm wondering if this is a contrafact.  Given that, perhaps Jerry Bergonzi?

Track 10 - We've traveled some distance from where this BFT began.  I'm hearing a lot of practice room, here.  Bari is the standout voice (to the point I'm thinking Bluiett is a possibility).  Tenor in the right channel is a Trane-disciple.  Given that and the Bluiett comp, could this be a Fred Ho project?  Not overly excited about either tenor voice.  I don't know, man, this feels like it falls apart pretty quickly after the 3-minute mark. Was just listening to something from Dave Binney (with Potter) that struck me the same way.  I admire the technical prowess, but I'm left asking a famous Miles' question:  So what?  The Saints seem to have little interest in what is going on here.

Track 11 - Took part in a session once where a joke was made about playing Girl From Ipanema in 7.  The guitarist lit up and said, "Let's DO that!"  It, predictably, sucked.  This is better than that, but I'm struck the same way.  There's a lot going on in terms of the printed page, but I don't feel the gut in this music. Is this the same band as the last track?  Just not feeling it.

Track 12 - This seems in a somewhat similar vein, but a lot more going on to my ear.  Man, this music has BALLS.  Angular piano, but it's working.  Drummer has me thinking Europe, but then he locks in and swings like hell.  Sort of like Han Bennink, but better swinging feel.  LOVE the piano, man.  It's crazy, but it works.  Almost like Sonny Blount, but the sidemen are all wrong.  Whatever IT is, this has it. Hmmm... no doubt, that's Bill Barron.  I thought I had ALL the Bill Barron, but apparently, I do not.  Chance to name-drop a cool photo, though. 
IMG_6803.jpeg
I'm going to sleuth this, afterwards.  I need this -- completely in my happy zone.  Wait... about 6:20... is that Cecil!?  How do I NOT have this!?!?

I've gotta find that Track 12! 

Oh!  No WONDER I liked track 12!!!!

1-5 -  Before my window of listening.

6 – Old timer, can certainly play

7 – I have this as track 2-7 from this  

8 – Title track from this .  Got to meet the singer back in the 70’s when he was waiting for the doors to the Empty Foxhole Café to be opened up to let him and us in.  Seemed like a nice guy.  Very strange what happened to him a couple years later.

9 – I like this, though mainly as background music. 

10 – Now this is initially invigorating, though it wears out its welcome a few minutes before the end.

11 – I’m glad they were able to complete tuning their instruments and sort of start a song eventually.  Totally lost on me.

12 – I like this.  Definitely my favorite cut on the BFT, and the one I want to be sure I have in my collection (I have #7 and #8 already).  Really digging the trumpet and piano solos.  Not as sold on the tenor solo, though I don’t dislike it. Fidelity not great, so I assume this is from the 60’s on a label like  ESP-Disk.  Has that kind of mix of the instruments, plus the bass player stays in the pocket rather than doing butterfly stuff, yet the pianist’s playing is inventive.  I do hope I have this somewhere already. 

Edited by felser

On 2nd listen I'm digging track 11 way more. It actually is my favorite of the bunch. There's a 70s Miles influence that I picked up on and it's got some interesting movements. 

It's a live track obviously but is the guitar player the leader/composer? That dip he, and maybe the bassist too, repeat almost throughout got kind of funny, esp the last run of it. The last 4:24 minutes or so there's a really interesting shift and calls to mind another style of Miles. Are there any Miles Davis connections? Then that spooky percussion finish- just wild. 

11 hours ago, randyhersom said:

JSngry always knows more than he reveals.  Hope he's coming back for further comments.

I will, this is a good, engaging collection. I've just been too damn busy to sit down and give full thoughts in a single sitting (which is how I like to do it).

Let me say that I do like #11, and it sounds like there's a bit of "modem classical" in the mix in terms of the structure being as controlled as it is. Very interesting!