Royalties on my jazz book for 2021

1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

$68.05. Not bad for a book that was published in 2004. And I think that may be more than it earned in many previous years. My thanks to Yale for keeping it in print.

That's awesome!  In 2021, I earned a whopping $172.21 from my 2014 album.  I have a closet full of them. I should sell them on Amazon for $1.99 a throw.  

5 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

$68.05. Not bad for a book that was published in 2004. And I think that may be more than it earned in many previous years. My thanks to Yale for keeping it in print.

i own it.  It's a really rewarding read!

8 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Larry, does that mean that you enjoyed new cash-paying customers last year?

I remember reading a Mose Allison interview in which he said he received a negative royalty for the quarter.  He said that no one bought any of his records, and two people brought back their albums and demanded their money back!

7 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

That's awesome!  In 2021, I earned a whopping $172.21 from my 2014 album.  I have a closet full of them. I should sell them on Amazon for $1.99 a throw.  

TTK, I'll buy one!

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

Hey Larry, can you loan me $100.00?

Got that earmarked for Jim and the board.

10 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Larry, does that mean that you enjoyed new cash-paying customers last year?

Apparently so.

Some years ago I bought a carton of 30 or so remaindered copies from the Jazz Record Mart, which at the time was stocking up on remaindered jazz books from some clearing house. Over the years I gave all but two of them away to interested parties.

BTW I love the image on the cover. It's a circa 1957 photo of Ira Sullivan (on tenor), Johnny Griffin, and bassist Nevin Wilson. Don't think it's from a Monday night session at the Gate of Horn, but the vantage point is from that of a front row seat there.

it is one of the best collections ever of jazz writing.

University Presses are notorious for not paying a lot. Though it's not the way everyone wants to do it, the smartest thing I ever did was to publish Turn Me Loose White Man myself. After the WSJ article I made a lot of money on the project (including the CDs). Paid my property tax for at least two years.