Jerry Hahn Brotherhood - Serfs, Columbia, Capitol

Jon King

Relevant?  Authentic?  Impressions?  

These albums rank highly with this old fan.  I love the musicianship that the tunes, such as Early Bird Cafe, feature - and which shines on both groups' LPs throughout.  I could trade many a CD or reissued mainstream jazz groups' efforts for more output from the likes of Mike Finnigan, Jerry Hahn, Lane Tietgen and their associates on these two recordings.  ESSENTIAL

10 minutes ago, Jon King said:

Relevant?  Authentic?  Impressions?  

These albums rank highly with this old fan.  I love the musicianship that the tunes, such as Early Bird Cafe, feature - and which shines on both groups' LPs throughout.  I could trade many a CD or reissued mainstream jazz groups' efforts for more output from the likes of Mike Finnigan, Jerry Hahn, Lane Tietgen and their associates on these two recordings.  ESSENTIAL

Welcome!  I've actually never heard that JHB Columbia album, need to go dig it out on you tube!  Appreciated Hahn's work with John Handy, and on Hahn's own Arhoolie album.  Don't know about the Serfs (see that Tietgen was in that group) or about their album on Capitol.  Will also see if I can find that on you tube!  Thanks for the info.

Jon - welcome to the board!!  

I have this album, but need to give a re-listen:

https://www.discogs.com/master/238561-The-Jerry-Hahn-Brotherhood-The-Jerry-Hahn-Brotherhood

I am a little confused as to the name of the other one - could you clarify for me?

I do have his 1995 album - Time Changes, which is probably a little more straightforward based on the sound samples above.

I remember seeing Jerry Hahn at a bar in Wichita KS (The Foundry) when I was in high school.  I was not into jazz at the time, but for sure the guy could play.  There was also a Mike Finnigan song that received local radio play around the same time - Saved By The Grace of Your Love.

Relistened recently to the JHB album (I really like Jerry Hahn's sound and solos on Gary Burton's Country Roads & Other Places): there's some really good tunes on it, and Mike Finnigan has a great, soulful voice (and plays some tasty organ to boot).

Edited by Simon8