Saving mystery 100-year-old recordings.

Hardbopjazz

I found this interesting   

Dear Friends:

In a secure, climate-controlled storage facility deep inside the Lincoln Center campus lies close to 700,000 of The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts’ sound recordings, one of the richest resources of sound in the world. The archive contains virtually every format developed to record sound—wax cylinders, lacquer discs, magnetic wire recordings, 78 rpm discs, audiocassettes, compact discs, and digital audiotape. But because these recordings are often delicate and subject to deterioration, the fate of this unparalleled collection is at peril.

The Library for the Performing Arts is ensuring these collections can live on by digitizing them and making them accessible for years to come, as you listen to the NPR report below. But, we need your help to do this work—if you feel as strongly about saving our sounds as we do, consider a donation to the Library today!  

With warm wishes,
Jennifer Schantz signature

NPR—Wax Cylinders That Can Now Be Heard for the First Time in 100 Years

What's on the 2,700 wax cylinders the Library for the Performing Arts has in its archive? Because many wax cylinders don't have labels on them, unlike vinyl, they’re often a mystery! But thanks to new digitization technology, we can find out without further damaging the cylinders. Jennifer Vanasco from NPR paid a visit to the Library during the installation of the Endpoint Cylinder Machine, which will help the Library digitize wax cylinders. She reported on the mysteries that we may uncover!

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/05/1090819310/mystery-recordings-will-now-be-heard-for-the-first-time-in-about-100-years?utm_source=eNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=LPA_Update_20220412&utm_campaign=LPA

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Of course, it may be useless chatter. After my mother passed away in 2014, I found a tape reel with my father's handwriting that told his brother "This is our wedding." I had it professionally dubbed to digital, as I didn't want to risk ruining a 60 year old tape.

On the other side of the tape, it was just a recording of people talking. The guy who dubbed it said people did a lot of recording of that sort of thing back in that era, the conversations meant nothing to me and I doubt that they were from the reception or anything special.