Charnett Moffett, R.I.P.

mjzee

Charnett Moffett, a bassist and composer whose virtuosity on both electric (often fretless) and acoustic instruments was matched by his versatility, died April 11 at Stanford University Medical Center in Stanford, Calif. The cause was a heart attack. Moffett’s death was confirmed by his publicist, Lydia Liebman, who issued an official announcement on April 13.

https://jazztimes.com/features/tributes-and-obituaries/charnett-moffett-1967-2022/?fbclid=IwAR3SJxk_030Eb0AI-sW_ox63SDwis_lTkbV1PvpTP536B4gImLcyCzj6goA

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

RIP.

Sometime later, I saw Courtney Pine with Cyrus Chestnut on piano, and Moffett may have been on bass for that one too.  But I can't say for sure.

If that Courtney Pine concert you mentioned was in the Buckhead section of Atlanta, just off Peachtree, I was there, too. Cyrus Chestnut, Charnette & Cody Moffett made up Courtney Pine’s rhythm section.

He died far too young.

17 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

If that Courtney Pine concert you mentioned was in the Buckhead section of Atlanta, just off Peachtree, I was there, too. Cyrus Chestnut, Charnette & Cody Moffett made up Courtney Pine’s rhythm section.

He died far too young.

Yes!

Thanks, Ken.  What year was that?

I am pretty sure it was after I got started in jazz radio and journalism. Rob Gibson, later of Lincoln Center, comped our tickets. Two pieces that stand out in my memory were Pine’s version of “Giant Steps,” where he soloed on tenor first, than soprano, along with “Zaire.”