Studio Only Groups

Mark Stryker

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Listening now to Johnny Hartman's The Voice That Is!, I see he's accompanied by Hank Jones, piano, Barry Galbraith, guitar, Richard Davis, bass, and Osie Johnson, drums; recorded in 1964.  It seems to me this group played often together.  No idea if they ever played live; perhaps more like session guys who were personally compatible and were able to be hired as a group.  Does this qualify?

IIRC (and I often don't) the go-to East Coast rhythm section was Jones, Johnson, Galbraith and Milt Hinton.  I think of Richard Davis as being from the next generation (maybe because he played on Astral Weeks) but I see he was born in 1930.  And is still alive!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

IIRC (and I often don't) the go-to East Coast rhythm section was Jones, Johnson, Galbraith and Milt Hinton.  I think of Richard Davis as being from the next generation (maybe because he played on Astral Weeks) but I see he was born in 1930.  And is still alive!

Richard Davis turned 92 on Friday. 

I don't have Mark Miller's Herbie Nichols bio at hand, but did either of the Nichols trios that made the mid-1950s Blue Note records ever play live?  Also, do any of the electric Miles studio records from the late 1960s into the early/mid 1970s include configurations that never performed live?  (The concept seems to potentially reverse there, at least with the "Lost Quintet," into "bands that played live but never recorded in the studio.") 

On 4/17/2022 at 10:38 AM, hopkins said:

There are three:

- For Basie, recorded in October 1957

- Basie Reunion, recorded in September 1958

- Like Basie, recorded in March 1959

You are right, the first is Page's last recording. The second has Buck Clayton and Jack Washington added and is also very enjoyable, IMO. 

There is also "The Kid From Denver" (1957/58) on the Dawn label.

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Also, do any of the electric Miles studio records from the late 1960s into the early/mid 1970s include configurations that never performed live?  (The concept seems to potentially reverse there, at least with the "Lost Quintet," into "bands that played live but never recorded in the studio.") 

From Bitches Brew to On the Corner, Davis' sessions featured all or part of his working band with a lot of extra musicians, most of whom didn't play live with Davis during that period (John McLaughlin sat in a few times live and Maupin did once).