Barney Kessel gets a credit on the label of Cry Me a River

medjuck

I was watching the new Criterion edition of The Girl Can't Help It last night and in an "extra" about the music in the film they show the 45 of Cry Me A River.  Much to my surprise the label gives credit to the bass and guitar accompanists.  The guitar player was Barney Kessel.  I suspect he didn't get royalties. 

32 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I was watching the new Criterion edition of The Girl Can't Help It last night and in an "extra" about the music in the film they show the 45 of Cry Me A River.  Much to my surprise the label gives credit to the bass and guitar accompanists.  The guitar player was Barney Kessel.  I suspect he didn't get royalties. 

Don't know about the royalties, but they certainly deserved the credit.  The intro alone is iconic.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Yeah, that's considered the gold standard in jazz guitar on accompanying a vocalist. My father had that album in his record collection in his basement record collection. I remember taking a daring 'expedition' in the middle of the night when I was a kid, because the album cover had a quite risque photo of Julie London's cleavage.

I sneaked down the stairs, and found the album in the middle of all his Tony Mottola albums, and brought it up to my bedroom, and made love to Julie London under the sheets.

Then I cleaned up, and brought the album back down to it's place among the Tomy Mottola albums. I remember worrying that he might notice some strange looking stains on the LP cover, but he never said anything. Illya Kuryakin had completed another successful mission...

13 minutes ago, sgcim said:

Yeah, that's considered the gold standard in jazz guitar on accompanying a vocalist. My father had that album in his record collection in his basement record collection. I remember taking a daring 'expedition' in the middle of the night when I was a kid, because the album cover had a quite risque photo of Julie London's cleavage.

I sneaked down the stairs, and found the album in the middle of all his Tony Mottola albums, and brought it up to my bedroom, and made love to Julie London under the sheets.

Then I cleaned up, and brought the album back down to it's place among the Tomy Mottola albums. I remember worrying that he might notice some strange looking stains on the LP cover, but he never said anything. Illya Kuryakin had completed another successful mission...

How long of a gap was there between your experience with the cover art and the music housed inside?

On 19.4.2022 at 7:02 PM, medjuck said:

so they gave credit to ray leatherwood?