R.I.P. Guy Lafleur, Hockey Legend

I can remember when he came up from the minors, makes me feel old.  Great player, leader of the last of the Habs' dynasty.  "To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high." from In Flanders Fields (as I'm sure all Canadians know), on the wall in the Habs' dressing room, only in French (and unlike the national anthem, in a direct translation).

Edited by danasgoodstuff

RIP, big loss, sad.

I was for a long time a big hockey fan*, and played the sport up to age 40 @ rec league level.

Lafleur was a true legend ("iconic" can be used without resort to cliche), and the 1970s-era Hab multi-Cup winners awesome.

Sadly, we also recently lost Mike Bossy, perhaps the best pure goal-scorer I ever saw, who had to retire prematurely because of a back injury (truncating his career stat totals).

Weird memory: Lafleur was one of the few players "grandfathered in" to play sans helmet after the LNH made helmets mandatory. I thought for a while he was the last helmetless player, but on second thought no...surely others (e.g. Al Secord? Doug Wilson? Craig MacTavish?) played longer.

*The strike-cancelled 2004-5 season made me realize that I could live without following the LNH. :P

Edited by T.D.