Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JSngry

2022 MLB Season Thread

44 posts in this topic

Quite the brawl in yesterday’s Angels-Mariners game:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would like to see the ... Jomboy breakdown (?). About 10:23:  Dude, that was the gum. What are we gonna do now? :g

 

Seriously though, didn't the Mariners throw at someone on the Angels? (I didn't have the sound on). I thought that was about the gentlest "right back atcha" pitch I've ever seen. Right in the meaty part of his tush, nowhere near his head, ribs. I mean, you couldn't pay me to stand in and take that myself but they're ballplayers. That didn't necessitate what it turned into.

Oh and anyone else amused by the bullpen guys running in alongside each other?  For once I'd like to see someone mouth off and a fight starts out there. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Would like to see the ... Jomboy breakdown (?). About 10:23:  Dude, that was the gum. What are we gonna do now? :g

 

Seriously though, didn't the Mariners throw at someone on the Angels? (I didn't have the sound on). I thought that was about the gentlest "right back atcha" pitch I've ever seen. Right in the meaty part of his tush, nowhere near his head, ribs. I mean, you couldn't pay me to stand in and take that myself but they're ballplayers. That didn't necessitate what it turned into.

Oh and anyone else amused by the bullpen guys running in alongside each other?  For once I'd like to see someone mouth off and a fight starts out there. 

 

 

 

Apparently Seattle buzzed Trout’s head the night before. Hilarious observation about the bullpens running in together… imagine a second scrum happening out there as well! :g  Oh, and 

Jomboy’s working on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Apparently Seattle buzzed Trout’s head the night before. Hilarious observation about the bullpens running in together… imagine a second scrum happening out there as well! :g  Oh, and 

Jomboy’s working on it

I like the guy's work I'll just have to get over the fact he's a Yanks fan. :)

There's an Angel who does this half-hearted wrasslin-style forearm to the back on the guy who got hit, but the Mariner who reacted to that really laid 'em in there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I like the guy's work I'll just have to get over the fact he's a Yanks fan. :)

 

Fans on Twitter are awaiting his breakdown of the brawl like it's a Marvel or Tom Cruise summer blockbuster movie. :lol:

... and it just went live!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Fans on Twitter are awaiting his breakdown of the brawl like it's a Marvel or Tom Cruise summer blockbuster movie. :lol:

... and it just went live!

 

Funny indeed ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8:35 - he should have said "so ump does a good job protecting the quarterback" :g

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Yankees finish their 2022 regular-season match-up against the Astros 2-5 (with four of the seven games at Yankee Stadium) and without having led a single inning (both of their wins came via walkoff hits). Despite their gaudy overall record to date, they are still owned lock, stock and barrel (or should I say lock, stock and trash-can? :g ) by Houston… cannot see them advancing past the Astros in the postseason. And how ‘bout them Mariners and Orioles? Lots of AL teams in the hunt for those three wild-card spots. I’ll also be interested to see if anybody lands Juan Soto at the trade deadline. He’s at peak value right now with 2.5 years of team control left… Nats will still get a huge haul for him if they wait till the winter, but perhaps a little less than they’d receive right now, when acquiring Soto could help push a team immediately through the playoffs and to the World Series. 

Edited by ghost of miles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

46 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Yankees finish their 2022 regular-season match-up against the Astros 2-5 (with four of the seven games at Yankee Stadium) and without having led a single inning (both of their wins came via walkoff hits). Despite their gaudy overall record to date, they are still owned lock, stock and barrel (or should I say lock, stock and trash-can? :g ) by Houston… cannot see them advancing past the Astros in the postseason. 

You never can tell, ghost.  Last year, the Dodgers won 4 of 6 against the Braves during the regular season -- but then the Braves shocked everyone in the post-season, winning the seven-game series vs. the Dodgers in 6.

... And then, of course, the Braves went on to beat Houston in the WS. 

I think it depends more on who's playing well at the end of the season. 

 

Edited by HutchFan
misspelled word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I think it depends more on who's playing well at the end of the season. 

or who's not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JSngry said:

or who's not...

Yup.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

40 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Aaron Judge on the trail of Maris ‘61:

Judge is just the fourth Major Leaguer (and second Yankee) to hit at least 43 home runs through his club’s first 104 games of a season, joining Babe Ruth (44 in 1921), Mark McGwire (44 in 1998) and Barry Bonds (45 in 2001).

“Beyond special”: Judge hits #43 in Yankees’ win over Mariners

And unlike McGwire and Bonds, (I would assume that) Judge isn't using steroids.  So, IMO, the only "untainted"/un-asterisked comparison is Babe Ruth.  That makes what Judge is doing even MORE impressive.

 

Another long-standing record recently broken:

How to describe the month that Austin Riley had, the hitter the Braves third baseman has become? He broke a franchise record Sunday for most extra-base hits in any month, a mark that stood for 61 years and belonged to the all-time MLB extra-base hits leader and one of the greatest players who ever lived, Hank Aaron.

Riley not only broke it but also did so with a walk-off double on the first pitch he saw from Arizona reliever Mark Melancon. It was a well-located fastball down and in that Riley somehow lined to right-center, scoring Matt Olson from first base for a 1-0 win and series sweep at Truist Park, where fans chanted “MVP!, MVP!” when Riley strode to the plate.

Full article: https://theathletic.com/3465789/2022/07/31/braves-austin-riley-record-hank-aaron/

On top of that, the Braves signed Riley to a 10-year, $212M contract yesterday.

The Braves long-term prospects are looking VERY good with so much young talent: Riley, Acuña, Albies, Fried, et al.  :) 

 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the Red Sox big transaction is taking on an historically bad contract for a total mediocrity named Eric Hosmer.

This former Rays GM doesn't have a g-damn clue, and anyone who thought that Alex Cora is some special manager, gimme a break on that too.

Oh, and don't forget, they got Tommy Pham and his .694 OPS. Playoffs, here we come! Where anything can happen and usually does!!

Fuckin' :bad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

And unlike McGwire and Bonds, (I would assume that) Judge isn't using steroids.  So, IMO, the only "untainted"/un-asterisked comparison is Babe Ruth.  That makes what Judge is doing even MORE impressive.

 

Another long-standing record recently broken:

How to describe the month that Austin Riley had, the hitter the Braves third baseman has become? He broke a franchise record Sunday for most extra-base hits in any month, a mark that stood for 61 years and belonged to the all-time MLB extra-base hits leader and one of the greatest players who ever lived, Hank Aaron.

Riley not only broke it but also did so with a walk-off double on the first pitch he saw from Arizona reliever Mark Melancon. It was a well-located fastball down and in that Riley somehow lined to right-center, scoring Matt Olson from first base for a 1-0 win and series sweep at Truist Park, where fans chanted “MVP!, MVP!” when Riley strode to the plate.

Full article: https://theathletic.com/3465789/2022/07/31/braves-austin-riley-record-hank-aaron/

On top of that, the Braves signed Riley to a 10-year, $212M contract yesterday.

The Braves long-term prospects are looking VERY good with so much young talent: Riley, Acuña, Albies, Fried, et al.  :) 

 

Matt Olson has had a great season as well. While he doesn't hit for average as well as Freddie Freeman did, he's been an extra base hitting machine.

Glad to see them DFA Robinson Canó, who no longer seems to be able to hit or field. The Mike Ford experiment has ended with his return to the minors. It is puzzling what the Braves saw in him to promote him, let alone sign him, with his lack of success at the major league level over the past several years. It was odd the other night with 3 guys hitting under .200 in the starting lineup.

 

Edited by Ken Dryden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.