Your Music Collector Idiosyncrasies

HutchFan

9 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

French Canadian.

Cronenberg scores are filed in the Gothic/Macabre/Horror/Sci-Fi/Fantasy section.

You should start a Canadian section; you could add the soundtrack to Michael Snow's "New York Eye and Ear Control": Albert Ayler, Don Cherry, Roswell Rudd, Sunny Murray, John  Tichcai and Gary Peacock. . 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It is currently easily available, at least over here.

I see New York Eye and Ear Control Revisited, which has the same track list.  This seems to be the most easily available in the authoritarian state where I live.  Is this a new and improved version?

Also, is the film available?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I see New York Eye and Ear Control Revisited, which has the same track list.  This seems to be the most easily available in the authoritarian state where I live.  Is this a new and improved version?

There's definitely a vinyl reissue of the real one. It's everywhere in shops here, and has been for a while.

Film... I don't know.

7 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Discogs has more than 100 both cd and Lps cheap.  The film seems to be available for rent in 16mm from the Filmmakers co-op

Edited by medjuck

Combination of by modern label (Hat Art, Not Two, Relative Pitch, No Business, Astral Spirits, Aerophonic, etc.)

then both a Brotzmann & Evan Parker section. Then a eai section. Then a large avant-garde jazz section that includes what isn’t included in the above, then a “modern” or “classic” jazz section. Then a rock section. 

a large Grateful Dead section / I’ve got about 90% of the official releases, plus CD-R’s of the early Dave Picks I’m upset I can’t afford / plus CD-R’s of the full Fillmore West 1969 run. Box going for over $725 so that’s not happening:)

most box sets on a top shelf. More Dead boxes under the TV - Get Shown the Light, Giants Stadium & Pacific Northwest. Maybe I have 2,500 or 3,000 CD’s / not sure as “collector” is not me. 

for the first time in years / I reorganized just a bit when we bought a condo last summer in the same building as we lived in for 9 years I can find anything I’m looking for:)

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• 4 weeks later...

My biggest issue is get it right. There's nothing more annoying when a original album is re-released with some stupid new album-cd sleeve that makes no sense (32 Jazz) and they change the labels etc. I'm beyond how to file them; I'm embarrassed where to put them (if I even think about even buying it.)  I know, "its about the music" but I can't tell you how many times I have to find the "right" sleeve and make a glossy cover of it so it's right and slip it over the ugly sleeve (Clifford Brown/Tubby New York sessions Columbia sleeve (replaced) cd version gross!) those hared Arista album covers especially Marion Brown! (Fontana/Phillips/Polydor!/Epic)  (blahhh). OCD much? Guess So. 

A huge pet peeve is when graphic designers use tiny fonts that blend in with the background colors. There is one prominent graphic designer who is active today and regularly commits that mistake.

Another is art director who flip photographs so the musicians are looking in the direction to get the effect they want. It's ridiculous to see musicians who play bass or guitar suddenly playing left handed, Lionel Hampton with his name mirror-imaged on the front of his vibraphone, with a special award of dishonor for the person responsible for the notorious left-handed trumpet photo of the Columbia Masterpieces reissue of Miles Davis: Kind of Blue.

Also deserving of being banned from the industry: 

Whoever designed the terrible rusted metal container for The Complete Bill Evans on Verve, along with the obvious non-CD collector who came up with the ceramic base to hold the CDs for The Complete Columbia Recordings of Charlie Christian. Both should be banned for life from designing future boxed sets.

Edited by Ken Dryden

I really liked the '70's-'80's attempt to create new covers for '50's LPs, many of which were butt ugly (think of Savoys).  In a way, it was more respectful to the music.  I thought many of the 32Jazz covers were lively (and even there, many of the Muse covers they replaced were ugly).  32Jazz also faced a new challenge, which is how to reach out to the prospective buyer given the 5"x5" dimensions of a CD package.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this thread (I travel a lot this time of year). Like most of you, I sort three sections: Classical (by composer), other (alphabetically by artist), and Jazz--that massive 90%--sorted alphabetically by artist with each artist's stuff chronological. But, like others, I do goofy shit, especially with compilations and various artists. There I sometimes choose the artist I like most and put it under that name, and occasionally by title, if it would make it easier to find.

And, defying all these rules, I shelve my "Jazz in Paris" collection separately and organized by NUMBER, because...well...I just like the way it looks that way! The irritating thing is when I forget a given set (like a Mosaic set) has an album by a given artist, I see that separate album in a store and buy it, then come home to discover I already have it in a set. But then, I buy other dups now and then because my aging memory sucks. So it goes!

gregmo

On 4/30/2022 at 8:52 AM, mikeweil said:

🤣

My ex-wife used to do this to me all the time because she knew I knew everything (down to catalogue numbers) in my collection, that when I wasn't home or asleep, she would miss-file something and wait for my reaction later (this could take hours, days, months...) where I would finally freak out and say, "where the fuck is it?" and she would just burst out laughing, knowing how meticulous my filing system was. Who does that??? Well, I did say "ex"....

Edited by Holy Ghost

I don´t collect that much any more. I keep some key albums of the artists I like . Well I don´t have classical music that much, maybe some Three Tenors (vocal)  something with Pavarotti, a DVD of "Swan Lake" or so,         so my jazz "collection" (better said "examples for study" ) is in alphabetical order so I might find easily what I wanna hear. If I feel like listening to some Jackie McLean I´ll find it that way....

I´m not really meticulous about it, it´s for the purpose and the purpose is the music. I listen to it like I listen to live music or as if I´d play myself in that group.....

I doubt many of the guys I meet on stage have "enormous record collections". 

I also observed that may collectors don´t really talk about the music itself , you think you got a new "jazz friend to exchange impressions with him" and the only stuff is he knows records dates, record labels, and if he has "Charlie Parker at Birdland from March and Mai 1953" he will not sleep well until he has purchased the missing April 1953 and so on....