Charles Brown & Amos Milburn Mosaics

Late

MC0xNzAxLmpwZWc.jpeg

NS03NDgzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Here are two Mosaics that don't get much discussion. I own neither, but do have the two single disc EMI/Aladdin collections representing Brown and Milburn:

MzItOTg0Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Mi0yMzIyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Both of these discs are highly recommended. Anyone own the Mosaics? Further comments? I thought we could open a space here at Organissimo to discuss these two artists.

I have both of these sets and am long overdue to revisit them, though I think I did play the Brown box through again a few years ago.  My distant recollection is that it seemed to be a lot of each particular artist at first, but not so much that I regretted buying either set.  I've got a soft spot for the club blues sound, so I've probably taken the Brown down off the shelf more than the Milburn over the years (though "In The Middle Of The Night," that's Milburn, right? Damn, that's a good one...  he did club blues too).  Some might be content with the two excellent compilations that you posted above, drawn from the same body of work.  

• Charles Brown
• Amos Milburn
• T-Bone Walker
• Otis Spann/Lightnin' Hopkins

I have none of these Mosaics. Have the two aforementioned single disc comps (Brown & Milburn) and the 2-disc Imperial set by Walker, but I've never acquired the Candid work of Spann or Hopkins. I'd probably like it.

I spun the entire single disc comp of Charles Brown last night. Something, for me, very soothing about that work. I can see how some might find it repetitious, but I find it slowly intoxicating, if that makes any sense.

44 minutes ago, Late said:

• Charles Brown
• Amos Milburn
• T-Bone Walker
• Otis Spann/Lightnin' Hopkins

I have none of these Mosaics. Have the two aforementioned single disc comps (Brown & Milburn) and the 2-disc Imperial set by Walker, but I've never acquired the Candid work of Spann or Hopkins. I'd probably like it.

I spun the entire single disc comp of Charles Brown last night. Something, for me, very soothing about that work. I can see how some might find it repetitious, but I find it slowly intoxicating, if that makes any sense.

You might add this

91TKdSXLrvL._SX522_.jpg

I'll look into that Walker set—thanks for the heads-up. I need to get out the Imperial recordings and re-investigate those too.

This has me thinking about when there was an OBC (the partner to the OJC series) program. That's where I first experienced Lightnin' Hopkins. I still don't really know Spann. When I reach for blues recordings, I usually default to something on Yazoo, e.g. earlier recordings. 

Oh—and that Brown track above. Very fine.

I saw Charles Brown during his "comeback" period.  A great evening at The Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood. I once left a Charles Brown tape playing when I had my car valet parked.  When I came to get the car the valet wanted to know who it was and where he could get it. 

Edited by medjuck

On 4/30/2022 at 7:08 AM, medjuck said:

A great evening at The Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood. I once left a Charles Brown tape playing when I had my car valet parked.  When I came to get the car the valet wanted to know who it was and where he could get it. 

Nice story. :tup

Wasn't into Blues when the Mosaics came out, so I didn't get them. I did find the T-Bone Walker later and snapped it up. I enjoy it and wish I'd gotten the others at the time. But that's how it goes with Mosaic. You snooze, you lose.

gregmo

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...