Why are there so few jazz mega box sets

The conglomerate that combined the jazz holdings of Columbia/Legacy & RCA was active for a time, but I guess they just weren't selling enough units. I'd like to see all of the Dave Brubeck with Gerry Mulligan recordings in a box set.

Edited by Ken Dryden

And it’s not just classical that’s been getting the huge box set treatment.  It’s rock too.  I just ordered a Van Der Graaf Generator 20 CD set.  There also have been sets lately from Gentle Giant (25 discs), Al Stewart (~30 discs), John Mayall (20+), Wishbone Ash (20+), Steve Hillage (20+).  King Crimson has put out probably five or six sets of this size (or bigger) over the last decade.  Metallica's had some big boxes as well.  All with hard cover books and lots of “collectables”.  All are limited runs that seems to sell out.

Edited by trane123

23 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

The conglomerate that combined the jazz holdings of Columbia/Legacy & RCA was active for a time, but I guess they just weren't selling enough units. I'd like to see all of the Dave Brubeck with Gerry Mulligan recordings in a box set.

This box set would be welcomed by Brubeck collectors. Hopefully it would contain the Columbia LP "Compadres" which has never been released on CD.

On 4/29/2022 at 5:12 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Those big "classical" boxes are more attractive to the labels because most of the compositions are PD, hence are much cheaper to produce.

Didn't Michael Cuscuna find that sales decline when the retail price is more than $120.00?

I can imagine that the smaller profit per cd combined with a price tag ceiling resulted in the 13-18 disc boxes we saw last year from Nucleus, Barbara Thompson and Henry Cow.  

On 4/30/2022 at 3:11 PM, Rabshakeh said:

That's it. Although they missed a trick by not doing the face/spines thing.

The "Genius" set only contained the individual, mostly metal-spined, box sets that had previously been released. There was also a set of all the individual albums that had been released by Columbia, on 70 CDs (but they didn't put his face across the spines):

Miles Davis – The Complete Columbia Album Collection

A mega set that is possible that would interest me would be The complete Columbia, Okeh etc - Victor Duke Ellington 1925-1973. 

The Columbia,Okeh etc 1925-1931 on 4 Cd's, The complete Victor 1927-1973 24 Cd's , The Live and unissued set 3 Cd's, Columbia 1932-1940 big band 11 Cd's, The small groups 1936-1940 7 Cd's, The Columbia 1947-1952 period 11 Cd's (if all the unissued takes are included) The 1956-1962 Columbia 24 Lp's would be at least 24 Cd's. A total of 84 Cd's would be the minimum for this set. Still no match for the Bach 333 set with 222 cd's

Edited by miles65
correction of error