Why are there so few jazz mega box sets

5 hours ago, Jon King said:

WHY NOT Buddy Rich Big Band, complete World Pacific, RCA, and European label catalogs from 60s to present?

There are probably contractuel  problems with multiple labels involved.

I never really understood the appeal of these classical music mega boxsets where you get 50-100 CDs with minimal information, no album covers, just the music and a thin booklet (compared to the amount of music), the added value over streaming seems seems minimal - if it even exists... I guess there's a market because classical music lovers are one of the last demographics who listen to nothing but CDs...

19 hours ago, Niko said:

I never really understood the appeal of these classical music mega boxsets where you get 50-100 CDs with minimal information, no album covers, just the music and a thin booklet (compared to the amount of music), the added value over streaming seems seems minimal - if it even exists... I guess there's a market because classical music lovers are one of the last demographics who listen to nothing but CDs...

Agreed, the old vinyls box sets were smaller and with  nice booklet with good essays. I understand that the very cheap price of today’s sets are tempting and sometimes in the sets there are rare recordings but overall I agree with your points.

Edited by porcy62

8 hours ago, BFrank said:

I'd love to see a Mega Cannonball set, but probably won't happen for the same reason as Buddy Rich. It would involve too many labels.

Could do a Capitol Cannonball mega set that would be quite a listen.

• 2 weeks later...