Dave Brubeck Trio Vienna 1967

Stonewall15

This session was released on LP for RSD. The CD is now listed on Amazon. Both appear on eBay. Both the LP and CD have six tracks. There is a seventh track originally recorded on tape at the 1967 session that is not included on all subsequent issues. The title is "Let My People Relieve" and features Eugene Wright.

Oh, in Viena, my home town.........must have  been high moon for those who were from that certain kind of jazz fans who were older than me and most of them definitly middle class. 
I somehow never could connect to Brubeck since when I was a complete starter on listening and playing the music with my heroes being Miles, Mingus, Ornette and Bird and still not knowing all the others , one of the older guys told me that I must listen to Brubeck, that he is the very best of "jazz". From my point of view that meant "better than Mingus, better than Miles ???", and after one half side of an album I realized that it does not touch me. So, talkin about Brubeck I definitly had the wrong start. 

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh, in Viena, my home town.........must have  been high moon for those who were from that certain kind of jazz fans who were older than me and most of them definitly middle class. 
I somehow never could connect to Brubeck since when I was a complete starter on listening and playing the music with my heroes being Miles, Mingus, Ornette and Bird and still not knowing all the others , one of the older guys told me that I must listen to Brubeck, that he is the very best of "jazz". From my point of view that meant "better than Mingus, better than Miles ???", and after one half side of an album I realized that it does not touch me. So, talkin about Brubeck I definitly had the wrong start. 

If nothing else, you are missing out on Paul Desmond.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Did you ever listen to Time Out (and I’m not referring to Take Five) or Jazz Red Hot and Cool. Some amazing stuff. At least I think so. Is he the best in jazz. No, but a different point of view. 

On 4/30/2022 at 10:08 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

I can't even imagine listening to Dave Brubeck without Paul Desmond.

I mean without Paul Desmond in the group, not on the sofa listening to Brubeck with me.

Although, on second thought, I do like the album with Bill Smith.

Bill Smith appears on a fair number of Brubeck albums, including one for Fantasy, another for Columbia, and a slew after Jerry Bergonzi departed. There is also an unissued album in the Columbia vaults entitled “Witches’ Brew.”

Edited by Ken Dryden

6 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

Bill Smith appears on a fair number of Brubeck albums, including one for Fantasy, another for Columbia, and a slew after Jerry Bergonzi departed. There is also an unissued album in the Clolumbia vaults entitled “Witches’ Brew.”

Thanks.  The one I mean is The Riddle, but I couldn't remember the title yesterday. 

I think I have a Red Nerve album with Bill Smith compositions also.

There's two on Fantasy with Bill Smith, the one with the ice cream cover (shades of Red Norvo), and it is ok, but then there is Near-Myth,w which is actually really good. I can recommend it in good conscience to a lot of people who won't just shut down at the mention of Dave Brubeck.

On 1.5.2022 at 3:46 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

If nothing else, you are missing out on Paul Desmond.

Well okay, I´m sure Paul Desmond really knew his instrument and had a unique sound, but as it happens, maybe he is too much associated with Brubeck. From those with a lighter sound I think I listened more to Lee Konitz thru Tristano and Birth of the Cool and some other albums under his own name. He is the one I like more from that period and from the so called "cool jazz" which is not my strongest point. 
Maybe I had another start for jazz: The first alto I ever heard was Dolphy, followed by Bird and then culminating in Jackie McLean. I know some don´t really like McLeans sound and quite sharp intonation, but I am an addict of his sound. Then, let me see..... Jimmy Lion is great, Arthur Blythe....

On 1.5.2022 at 4:38 PM, Brad said:

Did you ever listen to Time Out (and I’m not referring to Take Five) or Jazz Red Hot and Cool. Some amazing stuff. At least I think so. Is he the best in jazz. No, but a different point of view. 

Well the one who told me how great Brubeck is gave me "Time Out" to listen. I think one of the tunes other than Take Five was Blue Rondo a la Turk. I was listening to that album and tried to find something that would fascinate me like the only three jazz albums I had then (Mingus with Dolphy in Paris, Miles Davis Steamin, and Bitches Brew).
I would like to mention I was about 13,14 at that time, and even my mother (born 1921) said "Meditations on Integration" is some of the greatest things she ever heard (and she was not a jazz listener), and later loved Ornette Coleman´s "Lonley Woman", well, she was somewhere around and then came into my room when I was "listening" as recommanded to the borrowed Dave Brubeck album, my mother asked "What´s happenin´, what´s that KITSCH you listenin to?" . 
And later, gettin in touch with playing musicians I don´t think one of them recommanded me Brubeck. I must say that the only three persons who wanted to pull my coat to Brubeck were listeners , but not players. 

Bill Smith: I heard to pieces of him on the Impulse Album "Americans in Europe" from Koblenz 1963 and though it´s another music than what I usually listen to, I like it, it´s okay. 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Bill Smith: I heard to pieces of him on the Impulse Album "Americans in Europe" from Koblenz 1963 and though it´s another music than what I usually listen to, I like it, it´s okay. 

This is an excellent Bill Smith album:

Mi03NjM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Well okay, I´m sure Paul Desmond really knew his instrument and had a unique sound, but as it happens, maybe he is too much associated with Brubeck. From those with a lighter sound I think I listened more to Lee Konitz thru Tristano and Birth of the Cool and some other albums under his own name. He is the one I like more from that period and from the so called "cool jazz" which is not my strongest point. 
Maybe I had another start for jazz: The first alto I ever heard was Dolphy, followed by Bird and then culminating in Jackie McLean. I know some don´t really like McLeans sound and quite sharp intonation, but I am an addict of his sound. Then, let me see..... Jimmy Lion is great, Arthur Blythe....

Well the one who told me how great Brubeck is gave me "Time Out" to listen. I think one of the tunes other than Take Five was Blue Rondo a la Turk. I was listening to that album and tried to find something that would fascinate me like the only three jazz albums I had then (Mingus with Dolphy in Paris, Miles Davis Steamin, and Bitches Brew).
I would like to mention I was about 13,14 at that time, and even my mother (born 1921) said "Meditations on Integration" is some of the greatest things she ever heard (and she was not a jazz listener), and later loved Ornette Coleman´s "Lonley Woman", well, she was somewhere around and then came into my room when I was "listening" as recommanded to the borrowed Dave Brubeck album, my mother asked "What´s happenin´, what´s that KITSCH you listenin to?" . 
And later, gettin in touch with playing musicians I don´t think one of them recommanded me Brubeck. I must say that the only three persons who wanted to pull my coat to Brubeck were listeners , but not players. 

I’m obviously not going to change your mind so I’m not going to try but speaking for myself, I never would have my teenage opinions of a piece of music, a book or art (especially if they were negative) dictate my opinions for the rest of my life. The person I was at 13 is not the person I am today. 

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

This is an excellent Bill Smith album:

Mi03NjM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

oh yes, just listened to some tracks on it on youtube. Sounds great. Very very nice. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I’m obviously not going to change your mind so I’m not going to try but speaking for myself, I never would have my teenage opinions of a piece of music, a book or art (especially if they were negative) dictate my opinions for the rest of my life. The person I was at 13 is not the person I am today. 

Brad I really can understand you and can follow your thoughts in an obiective manner. 
Sure I didn´t remain at the mind of a teenager and became the busy and successful man I have been for the last 40 years and every day I learn and study something new and have a wonderful wife whom I repect and love . 

But maybe on non business manners some seeds were already settled then. And it seems that many dudes of my generation, many fellow musicians and mentors of mine had the same experience in musical tastes, at least over here. We all dug Miles, Trane etc. and 70´s electric jazz , and from Miles, Trane etc we might get back to bop, so most the guys I know had and have the same tastes that spread from Bop over Modal and Free to Rockjazz and Funk and so called "post bop" or neo bop" of the young generation. I haven´t seen one of them who at one point might get more inside Brubeck´s music. 

Some things in my early live never changed: Jazz, Fishing and at 13 I would dream to find a woman who looks sharp and has long hair and heels and all, tall and slim and a stunning appearance , and though you get mature and look for much more important things, the caracter, the personality, but this old stuff of the physically attraction remained the same..... ;)

Please forgive me if the stuff I wrote is a very subiective point of view , I didn´t have the intention to hurt you, and though you might not change my musical tastes never think you are speaking only for yourself. I really hear you. 

21 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

oh yes, just listened to some tracks on it on youtube. Sounds great. Very very nice. 

Brad I really can understand you and can follow your thoughts in an obiective manner. 
Sure I didn´t remain at the mind of a teenager and became the busy and successful man I have been for the last 40 years and every day I learn and study something new and have a wonderful wife whom I repect and love . 

But maybe on non business manners some seeds were already settled then. And it seems that many dudes of my generation, many fellow musicians and mentors of mine had the same experience in musical tastes, at least over here. We all dug Miles, Trane etc. and 70´s electric jazz , and from Miles, Trane etc we might get back to bop, so most the guys I know had and have the same tastes that spread from Bop over Modal and Free to Rockjazz and Funk and so called "post bop" or neo bop" of the young generation. I haven´t seen one of them who at one point might get more inside Brubeck´s music. 

Some things in my early live never changed: Jazz, Fishing and at 13 I would dream to find a woman who looks sharp and has long hair and heels and all, tall and slim and a stunning appearance , and though you get mature and look for much more important things, the caracter, the personality, but this old stuff of the physically attraction remained the same..... ;)

Please forgive me if the stuff I wrote is a very subiective point of view , I didn´t have the intention to hurt you, and though you might not change my musical tastes never think you are speaking only for yourself. I really hear you. 

Georghe, we don’t have to agree on every topic so no apologies needed.  Obviously, some things I learned as a teenager’s influence you as you grow older. My listening tastes are probably similar to yours although I’m not a fan of later Miles. I can’t say I’m a big Brubeck fan although I love Desmond’s cool approach. DB has a different approach to jazz, which I like to listen to from time to time as a counterpoint to your normal bop, post bop, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Georghe, we don’t have to agree on every topic so no apologies needed.  Obviously, some things I learned as a teenager’s influence you as you grow older. My listening tastes are probably similar to yours although I’m not a fan of later Miles. I can’t say I’m a big Brubeck fan although I love Desmond’s cool approach. DB has a different approach to jazz, which I like to listen to from time to time as a counterpoint to your normal bop, post bop, etc. 

Brad, DB with PD must have something, especially their "Take Five". Why are , or were so many people who otherwise didn´t like or know jazz but loved Take Five. Same with my wife:  Some weeks ago the original "Take Five" was on a commercial or as a background music for a film, and she said, "that sounds fantastic". Let´s say, the alto sound really is fantastic, it´s something else than my usual Jackie McLean, Dolphy, Lyons, Donald Harrison, and of course Bird ....
The only time I played "Take Five" was with a very very strange male singer with a quite hoarse and shouting voice but it worked for the more jazz rock oriented audience and he demanded "Take Five" in a Reggae groove. This was during my few years deeply into electric jazz, but it sounded fine and I felt good...

• 1 month later...

cover-eef2388879a843dca8f1c18a10d4fec7-h

Formats: Jazz, Non-Commercial, NPR

"Trio?" - The Story:

On November 12, 1967 the Dave Brubeck Quartet was nearing the end of their last tour of Europe.

They had played in Hamburg on November 10th but saxophonist Paul Desmond got “distracted” after going out for a night on the town  to explore Hamburg with an old friend. When the rest of the quartet went to the airport in the morning, Paul was missing. He didn’t make the lobby call or the flight and the rest of the group traveled to Vienna without him.

icon_facebook.pngicon_twitter.pngicon_instagram.pngicon_spotify.pngicon_youtubemusic.png  

"Dave said that the best concerts by the Classic Quartet took place when he was angry. On this occasion Dave was mad because Paul was unacceptably missing. This unplanned trio turned in a performance charged with energy, dynamics and confident shifts of style and feel. The spontaneous arrangements featured extended and unusual solos by the piano bass and drums. This is a rare, revealing and wonderfully accidental addition to the Brubeck legacy".  *Darius Brubeck

image-fff9da82cd3f4fc5ae16b5ea5d7f4f42-f

Dave Brubeck:  Piano

Joe Morello  Drums

Eugene Wright:  Bass

__________Album Tracks__________

St. Louis Blues     8:54

One Moment Worth Years     10:10

Swanee River     7:37 

La Paloma Azul     6:09

Someday My Prince Will Come     5:28

Take The A Train     4:16

__________Radio Edits__________

St. Louis Blues (Time Edit)     6:59

One Moment Worth Years (Time Edit)     6:59

Swanee River (Time Edit)     5:35

image-a43986c109a843b1a4337454d92c2be3-f

BrubeckEditions.com

Interviews/Inquiries:

Derry@BrubeckMusic.com 

Edited by GA Russell

That happens when a label thinks a shorter version of a song might have a better shot at airplay for a new release. I remember even Telarc Jazz creating some for a Dave Brubeck CD that was sent out separate from the regular CD, although they do appear on regular CDs as well.

I don’t make a big deal about songs being too long for my show, if I want to play it, it fits and I don’t resort to fade-outs to do so.

Hi Stonewall,

I wanted to get back to your original question, re another track from the Vienna concert.  Is there a common source, unauthorized or not, for that 7th track?  I confess I have not encountered it.

As for the 6 tracks that were released, I have criticisms of both the ORF (lossy files) and Brubeck Editions (limited dynamic range) releases, though I am always happy that we get something.

I have been working lately on producing a nice electronic copy of the (mono promo) Last Time In Paris LP.  That one was recording just one night after Vienna and apparent also is associated with bad feelings about Paul's "illness" that caused him to miss Vienna.  It may even be the reason that we don't have Paris on CD, to this day.

Edited by may1620