Tune that affect you emotionally.

Con Alma = With Soul. The title is so apropos for the mood it gives off, regardless to who is playing it. This tune bring me into a state where I am almost in tears, but not a sad sense. So beautiful. In my opinion, it is Dizzy's best composition. I was just listening to a live Mike Longo recording from 2012, "celebrating Dizzy and Miles." He plays this on the CD "with soul."  

Any others? 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still hate to listen to Harry Chapin's "Cat's In The Cradle". It used to upset me a lot. When my daughters were very young, I had a job that had me on the road about 50% of the year, so this song's lyrics really hit home with me for a while. My relationship with my daughters is fine now, but there was a short time when I felt like my youngest didn't know who her father was. It's the main reason I quit that job.

On the other side of the coin, I love to hear the Def Leppard song, "Rocket". When my first child was born, this song was near the top of the charts and I distinctly remember cranking it up and dancing with our golden retriever Abbey when I got home from the hospital. It brings back a great memory.

Many, many songs do this: "The Weight," "Where Have All the Flowers Gone," "Redemption Song," Dylan's "Dark Eyes"....countless songs.

In jazz, some that comes right to the top of my mind are Miles with "Flamenco Sketches" and "The Man I Love," Mingus'  "Duke Ellington's Sound of Love," "My One and Only Love" by Coltrane and Hartman, "African Sunrise" by Randy Weston, and "Bessie's Blues" by Tyner with David Murray and Arthur Blythe.

Edited by Milestones

On 5.5.2022 at 2:05 AM, Hardbopjazz said:

Con Alma = With Soul. The title is so apropos for the mood it gives off, regardless to who is playing it. This tune bring me into a state where I am almost in tears, but not a sad sense. So beautiful. In my opinion, it is Dizzy's best composition. I was just listening to a live Mike Longo recording from 2012, "celebrating Dizzy and Miles." He plays this on the CD "with soul."  

Any others? 

I love that tune, heard it on many occasions live by Dizzy and like to play it myself. I like the arrangement of the out chorus, it´s wonderful to play.

23 hours ago, BillF said:

Horace Silver, "Enchantment"

Lee Morgan, "Ceora"

A trumpet player I worked with on several occasions (very fine, student of Ack Van Royen in Amsterdam, had played with greats like the late Barry Harris) loves that tune and I enjoy playing it with him in the group. He even once had a small group named "Ceora". Wonderful tune, A Flat.....yeah ! 

My input here: "Garden of Souls" by Ornette Coleman !!!!!!

44 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I love that tune, heard it on many occasions live by Dizzy and like to play it myself. I like the arrangement of the out chorus, it´s wonderful to play.

A trumpet player I worked with on several occasions (very fine, student of Ack Van Royen in Amsterdam, had played with greats like the late Barry Harris) loves that tune and I enjoy playing it with him in the group. He even once had a small group named "Ceora". Wonderful tune, A Flat.....yeah ! 

My input here: "Garden of Souls" by Ornette Coleman !!!!!!

Must give the Ornette a listen!

I don't know any girls called Ceora. It would be a good name for a jazz fan's baby!

Incidentally, my late friend and jazz record store owner, Ed Dipple, called his daughter Corrine. Had he been listening to this, I wonder?

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

whilst we're talking Ornette, 'Lonely Woman' does it for me

and Carla Bley's 'Ballad Of the Fallen', Haden playing her 'Silence' too. Miles' 'He Loved Him Madly' and that's just for starters

good choice. Lonely Woman was a favourite of my mother until a few years ago. "He Loved Him Madly" is also a very interesting thing, I loved it but haven´t listen to it for many years, good idea to listen to it again. 

Tunes that hit me all the time:

Duke & Coltrane's version of In a Sentimental Mood

Duke Pearson's Moana Surf

Gregory Isaac's Slave Master, Universal Tribulation & Slave Market 

Kiddus I's Security In the Streets & Harder

Marley's Redemption Song still hits so hard, but also that live Slave Driver version and so many other songs from him & the Wailers

Bunny's Bright Soul

Tosh's Burial

Garnett Silk's Mama Africa, Zion in a Vision & Fill Us Up with Your Mercy

Albert King's version of The Sky Is Crying

Sizzla's No Other Like Jah

Pete Rock & CL Smooth's T.R.O.Y. 

Carlton Jackson's History

Hugh Mundell's Red Gold & Green

Miles' & Monk's version of Bags Groove

I'll leave it bookended by jazz but there are so many more. Emotional to me doesn't necessarily mean tears btw, but includes a strong feeling of being uplifted or getting chills but also moved into that deep melancholy 

Edited by Dub Modal

49 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Tunes that hit me all the time:

Duke & Coltrane's version of In a Sentimental Mood

That one is one of my favs too. You can just feel the emotion in their playing. Ben Webster & Gerry Mulligan's "Chelsea Bridge" is like that too.

I often feel like standing up a clapping like I'm at a Jazz club at the end of Wayne Shorter's solo on the title track of "Free For All". I guess that's emotional. :)

2 minutes ago, bresna said:

That one is one of my favs too. You can just feel the emotion in their playing. Ben Webster & Gerry Mulligan's "Chelsea Bridge" is like that too.

I often feel like standing up a clapping like I'm at a Jazz club at the end of Wayne Shorter's solo on the title track of "Free For All". I guess that's emotional. :)

Indeed. 

Similarly, Billy Higgins' drumming frequently makes me stand up and move. Totally an emotional experience which I'd say is a type of joy. 

And not the only Billy Stewart song that brings emotion, but it's on my mind at the moment:

On the PBS special with Miles & Quincy Jones (when it first broadcast in late 1992 or early ‘93) — the first time I heard that rendition of “Boplicity”… …that definitely brought a couple tears to my eyes.

I was pretty deep into Miles by that point, having amassed at least 70% of his Columbia output in just 3 short years (lot of that was dubs on cassettes, mind you).

But that really brought it home that Miles was gone.

Amen to "West End Blues

Add: "Ain't No Sunshine".  MY late wife and I didn't really have "our song", but this one comes pretty close, in my mind.

"Strange Fruit".  Even an instrumental, since the words are lodged in my mind.

Edited by BeBop