Max Roach - Members Don't Get Weary

felser

https://realgonemusic.com/products/max-roach-members-dont-git-weary-lp?rs_oid_rd=136992276885616

One of the great albums of all time.  Copying this from the Real Gone Music website (link above):

Max Roach Members, Don't Git Weary LP
Max Roach Members, Don't Git Weary LP Pack Shot
Max Roach Members, Don't Git Weary LP Vinyl

$ 21.99

ColorBlack
                              Black - $ 21.99                            
Quantity

Max Roach wasn't just one of the greatest drummers and percussionists in jazz history; he was also one of the greatest bandleaders in all of jazz, able to adapt his playing to an innumerable array of styles, from bop to free, and blessed with a keen eye and ear for talent. And he always, always kept pushing himself and his bandmates to find new modes of musical expression throughout his six-decade career. Speaking of modes, this 1968 release on the Atlantic label is one of his finest albums, a masterpiece of modal jazz featuring a crack outfit of saxman Gary Bartz, trumpeter Charles Tolliver, bassist Jymie Merritt, pianist Stanley Cowell (composer of half the tracks on the album including the gem "Equipoise"), and, on the title track, vocalist Andy Bey. Discerning ears might detect the first hints of jazz fusion, but Members, Don't Git Weary is simply modern jazz of the highest order. First American vinyl reissue and long overdue!

Side One

1. Abstrutions
2. Libra
3. Effi

Side Two

1. Equipoise
2. Members, Don’t Git Weary
3. Absolutions

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the OG LP (white label promo bought mint out of some long-gone mom-and-pop and taken good care of) and a CD issue. Why would this be any kind of a meaningful upgrade for me?

Serious question.

otoh, if somebody isn't yet familiar with this record (especially Side One), here's your change to get right with god.

16 hours ago, felser said:

https://realgonemusic.com/products/max-roach-members-dont-git-weary-lp?rs_oid_rd=136992276885616

One of the great albums of all time.  Copying this from the Real Gone Music website (link above):

$ 21.99

ColorBlack
                              Black - $ 21.99                            
Quantity

Max Roach wasn't just one of the greatest drummers and percussionists in jazz history; he was also one of the greatest bandleaders in all of jazz, able to adapt his playing to an innumerable array of styles, from bop to free, and blessed with a keen eye and ear for talent. And he always, always kept pushing himself and his bandmates to find new modes of musical expression throughout his six-decade career. Speaking of modes, this 1968 release on the Atlantic label is one of his finest albums, a masterpiece of modal jazz featuring a crack outfit of saxman Gary Bartz, trumpeter Charles Tolliver, bassist Jymie Merritt, pianist Stanley Cowell (composer of half the tracks on the album including the gem "Equipoise"), and, on the title track, vocalist Andy Bey. Discerning ears might detect the first hints of jazz fusion, but Members, Don't Git Weary is simply modern jazz of the highest order. First American vinyl reissue and long overdue!

Side One

1. Abstrutions
2. Libra
3. Effi

Side Two

1. Equipoise
2. Members, Don’t Git Weary
3. Absolutions

Does anyone know who mastered/cut this LP? I find that to be pretty important these days.

I'm having trouble getting this post to look right. My words keep getting inserted into the quoted post even though I'm not typing inside the quote box.

For folks like me, who thus far have only been able to stream the music -- since the used marketplace cost of this album (both CD & LP) is ridiculous -- this reissue is manna from heaven.   

I know the music, but now I get to add it to my collection.  :g

Edited by HutchFan

Oh how I knew this would happen. A 2002 vinyl reissue popped up for 70 euros a year ago. This album was at the top of my wantlist and I decided to pay the ridiculous amount for it. I then already knew it was a stupid decision for I felt it was going to be reissued soon… 

but the only voice I kept hearing in my head said: what if it will NOT be reissued…. And I decided to bite. Stupid me.

5 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

For folks like me, who thus far have only been able to stream the music -- since the used marketplace cost of this album (both CD & LP) is ridiculous -- this reissue is manna from heaven.   

I know the music, but now I get to add it to my collection.  :g

That's a good thing, too!

Too bad about no CD on this new reissue, though. Seems a shame. Accidents do happen, especially with vinyl.

Strongly recommend that people who buy this LP make a digital backup ASAP. It's a record that is a member that should not be allowed to get weary.

27 minutes ago, Pim said:

Oh how I knew this would happen. A 2002 vinyl reissue popped up for 70 euros a year ago. This album was at the top of my wantlist and I decided to pay the ridiculous amount for it. I then already knew it was a stupid decision for I felt it was going to be reissued soon… 

but the only voice I kept hearing in my head said: what if it will NOT be reissued…. And I decided to bite. Stupid me.

We win some, and we lose some.  It'll all come out in the wash.  ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Unless it's blueberries. Or cumin.

Cumin, not so much — but watch the fuck out for turmeric!!  That stuff will stain clothes forever!

also…

https://www.foodrepublic.com/2013/06/19/how-do-you-remove-turmeric-stains-and-how-it-might-get-you-laid/amp/

Edited by Rooster_Ties

On 5/12/2022 at 3:52 PM, JSngry said:

if somebody isn't yet familiar with this record (especially Side One), here's your change to get right with god.

Agreed on Side One being stunning.  The three songs ("Abstrusions"/"Libra"/"Effi")  work together beautifully, and this version of "Effi" is just an utter marvel. 

Edited by felser