Max Roach - Members Don't Get Weary

felser

On 5/13/2022 at 7:28 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

didn't think it lived up to the personnel ...

I have the same feeling on this one. The compositions are great, but for some reason (at least for me) a certain spark is missing. I hate to say this, but I often find Gary Bartz underwhelming.

I'd like to hear the whole album, perhaps minus the vocal track, with Freddie Hubbard and Joe Henderson in the front line.

Hmm, don't know why the above showed up in italics. I guess I was emphasizing something.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/12/2022 at 3:01 PM, Ken Dryden said:

I own the 1999 Koch Jazz CD reissue, which is long out of print. I'll have to play it when I have some time.

I have this CD, too. Had no idea it was scarce. Sales prices have jumped around on Discogs the past couple of years, but someone's selling one for $12 right now.

10 minutes ago, BFrank said:

I have this CD, too. Had no idea it was scarce. Sales prices have jumped around on Discogs the past couple of years, but someone's selling one for $12 right now.

I just checked discogs, and I didn't see it.  Do you have the URL BFrank?

The least expensive CD copy I could find in the US is $89, a Japanese import.

On 5/15/2022 at 2:43 PM, JSngry said:

This and The Loadstar were the first times I heard the "later" Max Roach and it knocked me on my ass, the power and the clarity of purpose, musical and otherwise 

Yes. This.

6 hours ago, BFrank said:

I believe that all of the Koch Jazz CD reissues are long out of print. It was a fun series while it lasted.

On 5/17/2022 at 10:25 PM, HutchFan said:

I just checked discogs, and I didn't see it.  Do you have the URL BFrank?

The least expensive CD copy I could find in the US is $89, a Japanese import.

Yes. This.

Sorry. Don't see it, either.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Guess what?!?!?

There's a limited pressing of this on pink vinyl!!! 500 copies!!!!! 

https://www.ccmusic.com/max-roach-members-dont-git-weary-collectors-choice-music-exclusive-pink/848064013938

Where’s the fucking picture disc version?

I’m sick and tired of this nonsense.  This isn’t for music fans. This is for music media fetishists, who want to fondle and ogle a precious ‘shiny’ object, that happens to be associated with some good music (as a bonus).

Edit: What bullshit.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

21 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I’m sick and tired of this nonsense.  This isn’t for music fans. This is for music media fetishists, who want to fondle and ogle a precious ‘shiny’ object, that happens to be associated with some good music (as a bonus).

Agreed.

16 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I hear you.

But the past few years have seen a tremendous boom in all kinds of extravagant high-end merchandise. In a world where people shell out buttloads of dosh for NFTs, pricey limited-edition vinyls seem downright reasonable :D ...at least you can throw them on your ($20,000) turntable (though that might hurt resale value :P) and hear good tunes.

If the economy goes into recession, some of these (arguable) "excesses" are likely to fade away.

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

I hear you.

But the past few years have seen a tremendous boom in all kinds of extravagant high-end merchandise. In a world where people shell out buttloads of dosh for NFTs, pricey limited-edition vinyls seem downright reasonable :D ...at least you can throw them on your ($20,000) turntable (though that might hurt resale value :P) and hear good tunes.

If the economy goes into recession, some of these (arguable) "excesses" are likely to fade away.

I remember the comics boom in the 1990s, where they kept releasing collectible editions. They then all lost their value overnight around the dot com crash. Even rare second hand comics didn’t come back for about 15 years. My father in law used to say the same about the antiques market in the 70s, which has never regained its value in the UK.

I reckon vinyl is going to go the same way pretty soon. Money will become expensive again, and the assets boom will stall, taking vinyl with it. I suspect that vinyl won’t make a comeback for a while because in its popularity it will have stopped being associated with DJs and start being associated with fathers.

I don’t care personally: I’m not buying as an investment. I suspect that the same is true of other forum users. The only issue would be if the flow of reissues stopped or the record shops closed.

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

At the last record show I attended, vinyl was really expensive (regardless of how trashed the record or cover was), but CDs were pretty cheap (4 for $10) with a great selection.  So I bought CDs.

Aside from a few exceptions (like this Real Gone Music reissue), that's pretty much been my strategy too.

During the CD boom in 80s and 90s, when everyone was dumping their LPs, I brought lots of vinyl.  Now, it's the opposite. 

11 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I don’t care personally: I’m not buying as an investment. I suspect that the same is true of other forum users. The only issue would be if the flow of reissues stopped or the record shops closed.

Yes. This is my point of view also.  Anything that keeps the music available in some physical form is a positive, no?

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Anything that keeps the music available in some physical form is a positive, no?

No. "Physical media" was once a necessity. Now it's not.

Trivialization of content is not a positive, not at all. What is being noted here is the fetishizing of the object and the trivialization of the content.

It doesn't have to be that way, and it not always is. But good god, 500 copies of pink vinyl of a freaking Max Roach record, wtf is that all about? Content? 

Collectors' fetishization? Yeah. OK. I can see that. For sure.

But trivialization?  How so?  Because the vinyl is pink instead of black?  Because it's a limited edition release?  Would it have been different if the vinyl color was green?  Or orange?

If I had purchased the pink, limited-edition version instead of the black version that I bought, what would that mean exactly?  How would it be different?  Because I think the music would sound exactly the same.

This feels a lot to me like classical music audiences that become outraged when performers choose not to wear tuxedos. It represents a break in tradition -- and that causes consternation among some folks who see it as "disrespectful" -- even though a performer's clothing has no effect on the music whatsoever.

That's my take.

Why are they wearing tuxes? Some people like to wear that, it's their ritual, in a meaningful way. And some people are just stupid about it and think they're supposed to. And then there's those who think of wearing a tuxedo as pink vinyl. 

Now, tell me - would you dress differently for a chamber concert than a solo recital than an orchestra concert? Would you dress for the venue and/or the repertoire? Would you try to go for the actual music, maybe do a little homework, or would you just show up and expect points just for being there (regardless of your attire)? Or is it all just pink vinyl? 

So yes, trivialization. Cynical trivialization at that  Just take the money and run. Content? What content? We got that pink vinyl money, baby, fuck content 

Hey man, check it out, it's this guy named Max Roach and he was this BADASS, I heard that him and his wife were in that ?Love movie about all the black people who went to Woodstock, this guy was bad ass, bro, and this record is like SO rare, I guess because it was not on a real jazz label or something, maybe because it's fusion, but anyway, check this out dude - PINK VINYL!!!!