David Murray - Seriana Promethea

mjzee

Release date May 27:

71koeAeG5TL._SL1500_.jpg

61gA7ZrqJ5L._SL1200_.jpg

David Murray is a giant of modern jazz. His saxophone fuses all thegreat things that black music has produced: Gospel sounds, freejazz, Afro-Caribbean, blues and soul as well as the beautiful standardsof classic jazz. Murray's colorful tone, unsurpassed intonation,flair for swing, melancholy tones, and improvisational power andingenuity make him one of the most important voices in music today.The newly formed Brave New World Trio congregates style-settingjazz greats with bassist Brad Jones and drummer Hamid Drake.Together they draw from the African-American tradition as well asfrom other cultures and with Seriana Promethea they present animpressive musical statement. "The result shows the intuitive level ofunderstanding achieved. Having reached in his mid-60s a level oftechnical mastery where a musician 'can play every note that hehears,' Murray saw this pianoless trio as not just a way to keep thenotes flowing, but a catalyst for total freedom: that rare configurationthat allows him to deliver, through the saxophone, "my most freeexpression of myself", writes Derek Schilling in the liner notes.

I thought 'Blues For Memo' from 2016 was really good.

I'm not generally a fan of piano/sax duos so passed on the Takase.

He was impressive on a more recent Kahil El 'Zabar album.

On 14/05/2022 at 7:31 PM, Guy Berger said:

Murray was also on another recent Intakt release by David Gisler.

Yeah, with Jaimie Branch too. Intriguing pairing that I can't wait to hear

He and Jaimie Branch were guests on a Dave Gisler Intakt release.

He has also mentioned several times in streamed concerts I have seen recently that he also recorded a new octet album, which is supposed to be released some time in the near future.