Kuumba-Toudie Heath - Kawaida

mjzee

Not so sure it’s ‘great’ - and the sound quality is so so at best. Still - worth hearing. The LP of a few years ago (RSD) was put out by a British outfit I think (offshoot of what used to be DJM) so I guess they might also be the source of any forthcoming CD.

Not sure this version is great but I love the music, that’s what I meant. I got the Japanese mercury version. That one sounds good but I don’t think this music was captured in hi fi

Edited by Pim

8 minutes ago, Pim said:

Not sure this version is great but I love the music, that’s what I meant. I got the Japanese mercury version. That one sounds good but I don’t think this music was captured in hi fi

Ah, fair enough - got ya. Pretty muddy sound on the whole but I get the impression that the session was low budget/low key. It is what it is I guess.

It’s had some weird releases over the years. I remember that budget DJM LP in the 70s with the zebra stripe and safari cover put out under Herbie’s name. Not much mention of Tootie or Mtume.

Edited by sidewinder

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

It’s had some weird releases over the years. I remember that budget DJM LP in the 70s with the zebra stripe and safari cover put out under Herbie’s name. Not much mention of Tootie or Mtume.

Yeah, I have it on this, which only lists Hancock, not any of the other musicians.  I think that even listing it as Tootie (or 'Toudie') may be misleading, as it sure seems to be Mtume's session.

Herbie Hancock – The Jazz Masters - 100 Años De Swing (1996, CD) - Discogs

Anybody remember the Trip issue of this?

Anyway, the OG is clearly listed as Tootie's date. Here's hoping that this reissue carries the original gatefold cover and the liner essay by Amiri Baraka. Anything less is exploitation of the names minus the context. We've had enough of that already 

https://www.discogs.com/release/1257682-Kuumba-Toudie-Heath-Kawaida

As for Mtume's role...both Jimmy and Albert were into the Black Nationalism thing to no small degree. It's not like Mtume was off all by himself and found this, it was in the family, and you can damn well believe that economic self- sufficiency, both coming into it and then going out from it, was a driving force.

Don Schlitten gave us a very filtered glimpse of kinda a bit of this, but Don Schlitten was never going to have an Amiri Braka liner essay to explain it so we could all understand, in plain English.

My copy of the Trip LP Is not a gatefold. Since I also have the folio CD I would buy this new reissue only if it sounds much better, which I doubt.

p.s. I see only the original O'Be issue was a gatefold. Now that would tempt me.

p.p.s. the new reissue is a gatefold!

Edited by mikeweil

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

Anybody remember the Trip issue of this?

Anyway, the OG is clearly listed as Tootie's date. Here's hoping that this reissue carries the original gatefold cover and the liner essay by Amiri Baraka. Anything less is exploitation of the names minus the context. We've had enough of that already 

https://www.discogs.com/release/1257682-Kuumba-Toudie-Heath-Kawaida

As for Mtume's role...both Jimmy and Albert were into the Black Nationalism thing to no small degree. It's not like Mtume was off all by himself and found this, it was in the family, and you can damn well believe that economic self- sufficiency, both coming into it and then going out from it, was a driving force.

Don Schlitten gave us a very filtered glimpse of kinda a bit of this, but Don Schlitten was never going to have an Amiri Braka liner essay to explain it so we could all understand, in plain English.

I had the Trip vinyl back in the day.   My inclinations towards thinking it was Mtume's project because he has sole compositional credit on all the songs, but I do see what you mean about the original issue being in Tootie's name.

• 2 weeks later...