Horace Tapscott - Legacies For Our Grandchildren: Live In Hollywood, 1995

mjzee

Release date July 1:

81Z0JtpAr6L._SL1500_.jpg

Horace Tapscott Quintet - Legacies for Our Grandchildren - Live in Hollywood, 1995 - Horace Tapscott (piano), Michael Session (soprano, alto, tenor saxophones), Thurman Green (trombone), Roberto Miranda (double bass), Fritz Wise (drums)

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

I have the excellent CD that came with the book. Will order this for the extra material.

I'd rather purchase from someone other than Amazon, will give Bertrand some time to offer it through the Dark Tree site.

Yes, if I see Bertrand offering it on the site, I'll cancel my Amazon pre-order.

just realized that these sessions are described in the Dark Tree book (p. 236), apparently it was a planned album that wasn't released at the time, 68 minutes of music extracted from two nights of live recording with tracks including Ballad of Deadwood Dick, Motherless Child, Little Africa, Breakfast at Bongo's and Close to Freedom [of which the first three tracks make up 37 minutes of the CD in the book]... so if they stick to the album as originally planned (but not released because no label could be found) there will be 30 minutes of additional music... Intriguingly, the same paragraph also describes a sister album recorded a bit later in the studio where the band is augmented to an octet featuring Bobby Bradford... wouldn't be shocked if that is next on the list...

5 hours ago, cliffpeterson said:

Harbour: "Still pissed that those two recent Tapscott things were vinyl only."  IF you refer in part to the Tapscott Michael Session Avignon 1989 date offered on Bandcamp, that session was made available as a cd in Japan in early 2021.  

Yeah I have that, I meant the Tapscott + Winds one and the Century City Playhouse 1979 one, I don’t think there are even digital downloads. I found some fairly decent needle drops for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

It's up on the Dark Tree website with what looks like extra material - I'll do my usual order from there when available (coming soon on CD!!)

LEGACIES FOR OUR GRANDCHILDREN – Live in Hollywood, 1995

Horace-Tapscott-Legacies-for-Our-Grandch

THE HORACE TAPSCOTT QUINTET
HORACE TAPSCOTT piano
MICHAEL SESSION soprano, alto, tenor saxophones
THURMAN GREEN trombone
ROBERTO MIRANDA double bass
FRITZ WISE drums
SPECIAL GUEST
DWIGHT TRIBLE
vocals

01 | Ballad for Deadwood Dick |
02 | Motherless Child |
03 | Breakfast at Bongo’s |
04 | Close to Freedom |
05 | The Theme |
06 | Little Africa |

Edited by romualdo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Enjoying this. I don’t think this is the BEST Tapscott I’ve heard but it’s very good. (Also I have a blind spot in that I am not a huge fan of Dwight Trible’s contributions here… I know that is a minority opinion.)

”Ballad of Deadwood Dick” is terrific, and “Breakfast at Bongo’s” is a Horace Silver type composition in a hard bop style that I don’t typically associate with Tapscott.

Among the 3 Dark Tree HT releases, I’d rank this below the Covina Sessions but above Why Won’t You Listen.

Edited by Guy Berger