Jimmy Forrest on Prestige

Late

I love Jimmy Forrest's albums as a leader on New Jazz / Prestige, but my favorite Jimmy Forrest on Prestige might be on Brother Jack McDuff's "The Honeydripper," and especially "Dink's Blues."   "Bolo Blues" on "Out of the Forrest" is also prime. 

40 minutes ago, John L said:

The Denmark releases contain recordings made for United from 1951-1953.

While Delmark reissued Forrest's United sides, they also recorded him in 1959 with Grant Green, Harold Mabern, Gene Ramey and Elvin Jones. The results were issued as "All the Gin Is Gone" and "Black Forrest". This was a touring band led by Harry Edison and Bob Koester jumped on the opportunity to record them.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

42 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

While Delmark reissued Forrest's United sides, they also recorded him in 1959 with Grant Green, Harold Mabern, Gene Ramey and Elvin Jones. The results were issued as "All the Gin Is Gone" and "Black Forrest". This was a touring band led by Harry Edison and Bob Koester jumped on the opportunity to record them.

Oh yes, that's right.   Thanks. 

Not Prestige, but I love Jimmy Forrest in his later years.  He didn't have much opportunity to record albums, unfortunately.  I keep waiting for this to be reissued, either on CD or streaming.  Forrest with Al Grey AND Don Patterson...

That is a tasty track. Thank you for sharing! I'd never even heard of the Greyforrest label.  

Al Grey is under-represented in my collection. What a player.

After listening to the YouTube video mhatta posted, the next video was this. With Shirley on piano!

And a SCRUNCHY Jimmy Forrest solo! :tup

16 minutes ago, Late said:

... After listening to the YouTube video mhatta posted, the next video was this. With Shirley on piano! And a SCRUNCHY Jimmy Forrest solo! :tup

Recorded during the same appearance at Rick's in Chicago, July, 1978:

Live At Rick's - Aviva LP 6002 (1979)

Truly Wonderful - Stash ST-CD-552 (1992)

Night Train-Revisited - Storyville STCD 8293 (1999)

4 hours ago, mhatta said:

Not Prestige, but I love Jimmy Forrest in his later years.  He didn't have much opportunity to record albums, unfortunately.  I keep waiting for this to be reissued, either on CD or streaming.  Forrest with Al Grey AND Don Patterson...

Oh yeah.  The Magnificent Goldberg hipped me to Out 'Dere.  It's one helluva record.  :tup

The other (non-Prestige) Jimmy Forrest record that gets pulled from my shelf regularly:

Ni05NzM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Later reissued on a Muse CD.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Don't miss him on that Waymon Reed Artists House album. His most adventurous playing, imo, and still totally in that Jimmy Forrest pocket.

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Good idea.  I'm overdue to give that a spin.  :) 

Edited by HutchFan

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Oh yeah.  The Magnificent Goldberg hipped me to Out 'Dere.  It's one helluva record.  :tup

The other (non-Prestige) Jimmy Forrest record that gets pulled from my shelf regularly:

Ni05NzM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Later reissued on a Muse CD.

Good idea.  I'm overdue to give that a spin.  :) 

Randissimo is the drummer on Heart Of The Forest!

Forrest Fire has Larry Young, so that is my favorite.

• 8 months later...