Alto Saxophone/Guitar Duos

Mark Stryker

Gang --

I'm trying to help a friend discover whether or not there are any recordings out there of alto saxophone/guitar duets. And if not alto/guitar, then perhaps tenor/guitar. I couldn't come up with any full albums off the top, though I pointed him to the Paul Desmond/Jim Hall recordings to see if there are individual tracks done as duos. I have since learned of a French radio broadcast from 1980 of three tunes pairing Konitz and Jimmy Raney. 

So, anything come to mind? Thanks. 

Don Burrows and George Golla made a duo recordins down under with DB playing TS and flute called "Duo"

A friend gave me a great duo of Warne Marsh and Larry Koonse playing a concert in Chicago that he got from the web somewhere and burned me a copy.

Zoot Sims made that album "Nirvana" with Bucky Pizzarelli which Buddy Rich purposely spoiled for this thread by sneaking in on drums.

Lenny Breau made an astounding album with Brad Terry playing clarinet called "The Living Room Tapes". You can tell your friend that Brad terry is playing a skinny black saxophone; I'm sure he won't mind...:g

On the album "Buck and Bud, Bucky Pizzarelli plays six duets with Bud Freeman. The rest have a rhythm section.

Phil Woods and Vic Juris made a duo album called "Songs One" just before they both died.

QUESTION:  Is this everything(?) that Lee Konitz and Billy Bauer recorded together, just the two of them as a duo??   (I don't feel like I have enough of a handle on all of Lee's early output to really know, but this might(?) be everything.)

"Rebecca" -- Recorded  April 17, 1950 (in NYC)

and "Indian Summer" and " Duet For Saxophone & Guitar", both recorded March 13, 1951 (in NYC)

Here's a pretty good Lee discography, and I'm not seeing anything else that's obvious in it (in the way of other duo recordings w/ Bauer).

https://www.press.umich.edu/pdf/0472115871-discography.pdf

Edited by Rooster_Ties