2022 Newport (RI) Jazz Festival Lineup

So the festival lineup was announced a few weeks ago. I know Christian McBride took over as artistic director from George Wein several years ago. Since then I tend not to know 75% of the bands that get booked for the festival. I'm inclined to go for one day to see Joe Lovano, Antonio Sanchez, Jack DeJohnette, and Maria Schneider but I never heard of most of these bands.

I gave a listen to the Holly Bowling releases and that sounds interesting...  Anybody got any thoughts about this lineup and the direction of the festival in general?

https://www.newportjazz.org/lineup

Other than who you've listed, I'm familiar with, and would recommend: 

McBride's Newport Jawn (has to be enjoyable with that lineup)

Esperanza Spalding (although I'm not a fan, I'd like to see her live)

Digable Planets (hip hop with heavy jazz samples)

Cecile McLorin Salvant

Shabaka Hutchings & Sons of Kemet

Theon Cross

Nubya Garcia

Nate Smith

Ron Carter Quartet 

Jazz Is Dead (Hip hop again, this is Ali Shaheed Muhammad's project - he was the DJ for Tribe Called Quest)

Jason Moran Trio (his recent duo with Archie Shepp is great, on the strength of that I'd see his trio)

Makaya McCraven 

Pino Palladino, Blake Mills, Sam Gendel & Abe Rounds (I'm familiar with Gendel here & enjoy what I've heard - not familiar with the rest)

Melissa Aldana

Vijay Iyer Trio

And of note, Lettuce is a neo-funk groove band (mostly/all instrumental) and the audience always has fun at their shows. 

4 hours ago, Patrick said:

Any idea who is replacing Frank?

According to this: https://downbeat.com/news/detail/maria-schneider-fight-the-power, "By consensus, the piano chair will go to the orchestra’s longtime accordionist, Gary Versace — a “magnificent piano player,” she said, who “knows the aesthetic of the band.”

23 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Youtube is your friend. Check out recent videos of any band/artist you are not familiar with. There will almost always be some.

You'd be surprised how many of these artists DON'T show up on YouTube... I mean I think I know what Christian McBride is trying to do but the last few years there's quite a few bands/musicians who are really not well known.

I see about 3 to 4 groups per day whom I'd be interested in seeing, if I were to attend. 

I can't say I'm all that impressed with most of the vocal offerings, especially Jazzmeia Horn. It looks like McBride is targetting a younger demographic, as all of us older folks are less likely to sit in the hot sun for hours. It makes sense for the festival to survive in the long term. It would be nice to see someone like Veronica Swift included.

I heard Giveton Gelin sitting in with the Bobby Watson New Horizons Quartet at Smoke during one of my 2019 trips to NYC. I expect to hear more from this trumpeter.

57 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

You'd be surprised how many of these artists DON'T show up on YouTube... I mean I think I know what Christian McBride is trying to do but the last few years there's quite a few bands/musicians who are really not well known.

The lineup looks pretty good to me. I would be interested to see:

Terence Blanchard (I just saw the E Collective with the Turtle Island String Quartet in New Orleans)

Nicholas Payton (Just saw him in New Orleans; not a staid young lion but highly experimental these days)

Shabaka Hutchings (from London; Shabaka and the Ancestors, The Comet is Coming, Sons of Kemet; was at Big Ears Festival this year)

Theon Cross (Tuba player for Sons of Kemet; was scheduled at Big Ears Festival but cancelled)

Thana Alexa (I've heard her at the 55 Bar in NYC and just heard her in New Orleans with Antonio Sanchez; very beautiful voice)

Sons of Kemet (London version of a New Orleans brass band with Shabaka Hutchings)

Jack Dejohnette (I've seen him many times; always great)

Maria Schneider

Makaya McCraven (terrific drummer/leader based in Chicago; just heard him in night concert in New Orleans which was fantastic)

Yussef Dayes (another from the London scene; I haven't heard him but have heard good things about him)

Sullivan Fortner (pianist has pretty good album on Impulse and plays with Melissa Aldana)

Antonio Sanchez (great drummer; just saw him in New Orleans)

Celebrating George Wein (just heard the Newport All Stars in New Orleans celebrating George Wein; terrific set)

Ron Carter

Nubya Garcia (from London; I missed her set at Big Ears)

Jason Moran (solo set at Big Ears was the best concert I heard there)

Mononeon (heard him a few years ago in New Orleans with Terrace Martin; flamboyant bass guitarist who played with Prince)

Melissa Aldana

Vijay Iyer

Tuba Skinny (fun street band from New Orleans whose star is Shaye Cohn on Bixian cornet (Al Cohn's granddaughter))

Emmett Cohen (excellent young pianist; just saw him in New Orleans with Herlin Riley).

Edited by kh1958

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I'm going Saturday mainly to see Maria Schneider and Joe Lovano. Does anybody know anything about these vocalists or have seen any of them perform? Lady Blackbird, Samara Joy, and Melanie Charles? I used to like Esperanza Spalding but she's kinda worn on me... I did check out Holly Bowling (I know she's a pianist, not a vocalist). I liked her a lot...Looking forward to that set. 

https://www.newportjazz.org/lineup