Richie Cole

Rabshakeh

Richie Cole was pretty popular in Japan.  He even appeared on a very popular lunchtime TV show and radio shows.

http://jazzvisualparadise.blog106.fc2.com/blog-entry-115.html (blog in Japanese, but you can see pics).

I think Richie (and Bobby Enriquez, Gene Norman promoted them as a package in Japan) have been permanently underrated.  They had great facilities.  But also I think they lack something...I dunno, something important.  Also, I consider Phil Woods is one of the Jazz greats but he too lacks something that e.g. Jackie McLean or Art Pepper had.

52 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

It wasn't that I was a big fan, but I saw him as a keeper of the flame in those days.

Between him and Enriquez (god, I've tried to avoid that name to this point), if by "keeper of the flame" you mean "gleeful arsonists", then yeah, you're right.

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'd never heard of Bobby Enriquez. I'm interested where this is going.

Enriquez was an annoying showboat, at least on the Cole Muse Village Vanguard record (I never heard his own recordings as a leader).  And Cole had Harold Mabern, Mickey Tucker, and John Hicks on previous records, doubling the atrocity of Enriquez (nicknamed "The Wild Man").