Warne Marsh

Nate Dorward

garthsj -

the Revelation albums to which I refer are/were exceprts from the Half Note, some of which appear in toto on the Verve 2 CD set, the rest of which remain unissued in full, at least to my knowledge. The Ind released things are different performances altogether, although they are every bit as superb, and every bit as recommended. Warne was definitely in a zone during those 1959-1960 NY years!

You are right! Damn! Without my original LPs I got confused about these late 50's Marsh/Konitz "extract" albums from Revelation and Wave. Peter Ind is to be congratulated for keeping these available. Tantalizingly, in the liner notes to the Marsh album, he claims that he has tapes of the Gerry Mulligan Jazz Orchestra from those days, and "It is my hope that given time and success with Wave -- more of this music can be released." I wonder if that will ever happen?

In the meantime ... I cannot stress how incredible the improvisations are on these two CDs....

Garth.

ok I'm confused now, as result of "All Music" I'm back on a Marsh kick and ordered "More Jazz from the village" (Wave),is this different from "Jazz from the village" ( Wave)

"Jazz" (the lp) and "More Jazz" (the cd) are almost the same thing. The cd restores a number of edits and is missing one track. I have not checked the lp to see if the missing title might be something restored to one of the other tunes. I will report back later.

• 2 months later...

I think the Ballad date is the cream of the Criss Cross Marsh stuff. I think Jim was saying that.

I stopped my survey of Marsh recordings (earlier in this thread) because as we got out of the '50s we reached an area where I was in the position of dealing with sessions and producers "in competition" with me and I could understand others reacting by dismissing my complaints or ignoring worthy sessions I had something to complain about.

"Star Highs" is a problematic date for me. Warne plays well as does Hank, but the producer in me has a problem with balances and aspects of Mraz's and Mel Lewis's sound. I would have done it differently. I don't think Warne hits the highs he could, but he makes no mistakes and ALL of his recordings are worth serious study.

I do know he was happy with this date. He told me a number of his "best fans" were delighted he made a record with "another master" - Hank Jones.

Please don't ignore the Chet Baker CC date called Blues For A Reason. Chet, Warne, Hod O'Brien, Cecil McBee and Eddie Gladden.

See why I stopped my survey? I want you to buy them ALL!

I was making a Tristano School comp for someone on faculty tonight and ran across this line in Terry Martin's liners to the Intuition CD:

"When Lennie died in 1978, after recording amongst other riches, his solo piano masterpiece 'C Minor Complex', he would leave the legacy of his students."

Is a recording of this piece available (OOP or otherwise)? I mean, I don't mind at all hunting down an LP. That's what I do.... B)

I think the Ballad date is the cream of the Criss Cross Marsh stuff. I think Jim was saying that.

I stopped my survey of Marsh recordings (earlier in this thread) because as we got out of the '50s we reached an area where I was in the position of dealing with sessions and producers "in competition" with me and I could understand others reacting by dismissing my complaints or ignoring worthy sessions I had something to complain about.

"Star Highs" is a problematic date for me. Warne plays well as does Hank, but the producer in me has a problem with balances and aspects of Mraz's and Mel Lewis's sound. I would have done it differently. I don't think Warne hits the highs he could, but he makes no mistakes and ALL of his recordings are worth serious study.

I do know he was happy with this date. He told me a number of his "best fans" were delighted he made a record with "another master" - Hank Jones.

Please don't ignore the Chet Baker CC date called Blues For A Reason. Chet, Warne, Hod O'Brien, Cecil McBee and Eddie Gladden.

See why I stopped my survey? I want you to buy them ALL!

Thanks, for th info Chuck. I look for that Chet Baker date as well. :tup

The Rhino CD has a tune called "G Minor Complex" but the Intuition liners refer to "C Minor Complex". Same thing? A goof?

Either way, this is weird because the above quote makes it sound like the recording was made quite a ways prior to 1962.

Complex indeed....

Edited by Brandon Burke

Two items of (possible) interest:

| another review of ALL MUSIC, this one at One Final Note: http://www.onefinalnote.com/reviews/m/mars...e/all-music.asp

| Warne's youngest son Jason (or someone claiming to be this individual), has posted a response to Derek Taylor's fine review of ALL MUSIC at the Bagatellen site: http://www.bagatellen.com/archives/reviews/000511.html