Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kh1958

RIP Bernard Wright

8 posts in this topic

According to this article, the Dallas resident died in a car accident.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/music/bernard-wright-was-a-true-legend-through-high-and-low-times-14070762

Embarrassing gaffe in the article referring to Lester Young.

I heard him a couple of times sitting in with Lucky Peterson, taking over the keyboards while Lucky switched to guitar. The only person I ever heard doing this who sounded like Lucky's equal.

Another time there was supposed to be a solo piano concert in a downtown church, but some sort of airline flight issue caused him to not arrive.

That's a drag. RIP.

what Queens saxophonist are they referring to?

aha, so the writer just didn't understand who Lester was & how he fit into the situation. Definitely wasn't living there in the '70s and '80s, at least as we understand "living."

The level of music knowledge in Dallas area journalists writing about music is usually very low.

53 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

The level of music knowledge in Dallas area journalists writing about music is usually very low.

Even in classical reviews, which far too often resemble judges sheets at a UIL contest than they do any real engagement with the greater impact of a performance. Perhaps too much "music knowledge" and not enough musical knowledge? 

I get that it can be a fine line, but in a town with so much soulful music, there's a dispiriting lack of soulful awareness of same.

Bernard Wright private solo piano concert from earlier this year.