Norman’s Rare Guitars founder is severely ill

sonnymax

Norman Harris, founder of Norman's Rare Guitars, revealed he has a rare form of cancer a few days ago. According to his daughter Sarah, "Tuesday was my dad’s surgery and it was 14 hours long and included something called a chemo bath, which will HOPEFULLY help him avoid having to do chemo. On top of everything he’s been through with the surgery - two nights later, he had a widow-maker heart attack."

For those unfamiliar with Norman's Rare Guitars, Harris opened his store in Los Angeles in February, 1975. While they also cater to beginner and student customers, Norman's is best known for its rare and investment-grade instruments and the professionals and celebrities who seek them out. I enjoy checking out their website to drool over the vintage archtops they have for sale, some of which are $38,000.

Norman’s Rare Guitars founder reveals cancer diagnosis

Norman’s Rare Guitars founder reveals cancer diagnosis

I´m not really THE Guitar expert, I love to hear some good guitar solos in jazz combos of hard bop with let´s say Kenny Burrell or Wes, the guitar was not the most popular instrument in 1960´s free jazz, but in the 70´s when I grew up as a listener it was the fix part of fusion groups like Miles how I heard him then.....

But nevertheless, though I don´t have heard about Norman Harris, I wish him well, it´s a drag to have a serious illness . I never had heard about chemo bath, but I hope very much that he will recover and don´t need chemo. 

I spent part of my youth around the corner from this place, and I took guitar lessons one building over for something like four years. I purchased my main instrument at Norm's back in 2000. The staff has always been cordial and positive - a not-insignificant thing, considering how forbidding and intimidating "guitar culture" can feel for new initiates. I most certainly wish Norm and co. well.