Where Art Thou Coleman Hawkins CD or Lp

Jon King

11 hours ago, Jon King said:

Just googled Jim Flora.  Hmmm

He is FANTASTIC!  I have many of his record covers.  In a few instances, I've actually played the records, but the covers are so good, the music cannot possibly live up to the promise.  I mean, how could you listen to a Haydn quartet with a Jim Flora cover and not be disappointed?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

He is FANTASTIC!  I have many of his record covers.  In a few instances, I've actually played the records, but the covers are so good, the music cannot possibly live up to the promise.  I mean, how could you listen to a Haydn quartet with a Jim Flora cover and not be disappointed?

True, but the Sauter-Finegans (or Nick Travis' "The Panic is On", for instance) would be in a different league? :D
And admittedly the "faux Floras" above are at least "nice" (IMHO). ;)

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Anybody know this stuff?

Yes, it is something like the complete Coleman Hawkins bootlegged live recordings and sessions that didn't get official release: 1940-1965, certainly worth tracking down if you can.   

Edited by John L

8 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

True, but the Sauter-Finegans (or Nick Travis' "The Panic is On", for instance) would be in a different league? :D
And admittedly the "faux Floras" above are at least "nice" (IMHO). ;)

SF is a mixed bag.  Some tracks are Flora-esque, and some are very square.  Their most Flora-esque track, "Science Fiction," never made it to LP!  The Nick Travis has eluded me.

5 hours ago, Jon King said:

re: Cover art

My uncle, paint and wallpaper small business owner, once told me, "Jon, nothing happens until someone sells something." 

Might help to explain Flora's cover art from a more practical angle.   

Might also help to explain Coleman Hawkins or any of the other music that interests you.

For the visually minded among us who seek to place Jim Flora in perspective, Cartoon Modern is a great book, though very pricey these days.  

https://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-Modern-Style-Design-Animation/dp/0811847314/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3O15XZ7QF576S&keywords=cartoon+modern&qid=1653689055&s=books&sprefix=cartoon+modern%2Cstripbooks%2C78&sr=1-1

Edited by Teasing the Korean

10 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

For the visually minded among us who seek to place Jim Flora in perspective, Cartoon Modern is a great book, though very pricey these days.  

https://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-Modern-Style-Design-Animation/dp/0811847314/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3O15XZ7QF576S&keywords=cartoon+modern&qid=1653689055&s=books&sprefix=cartoon+modern%2Cstripbooks%2C78&sr=1-1

Too bad ... If I had known abouot this book at the time I'd have loved to get a copy without hesitating (though it is U.S. cartoons only), but now it is firmly out of my affordable price range. :(

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Too bad ... If I had known abouot this book at the time I'd have loved to get a copy without hesitating (though it is U.S. cartoons only), but now it is firmly out of my affordable price range. :(

More affordable may be the 2-volume DVD collection Mid-Century Modern Animation.  Not sure if they are readily available in your corner of the globe.