RIP, Ray Liotta

Oh that´s bad news. I saw some films with him when he was younger. He often played a bad guy.

Wasnt´there a film where he was a police man who stalked a married woman ? 

And there was another film where a young and married businessman is seduced by a blonde woman and her friend is a quite dubious character played by Liotta ? I don´t remember the titles of the films....

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh that´s bad news. I saw some films with him when he was younger. He often played a bad guy.

Wasnt´there a film where he was a police man who stalked a married woman ? 

And there was another film where a young and married businessman is seduced by a blonde woman and her friend is a quite dubious character played by Liotta ? I don´t remember the titles of the films....

Cannot forget when Hannibal scalped Ray's head and was having breakfast with him (if you will) lols. 

2 hours ago, Holy Ghost said:

Cannot forget when Hannibal scalped Ray's head and was having breakfast with him (if you will) lols. 

That was the moment I said "this is a garbage movie, disgusting for disgusting's sake."  

Liotta's breakthrough in Something Wild was extremely impressive, IMO. But I am a little biased, it was filmed partially in Tallahassee when I was an undergrad, and I remember watching it in a theater, and the audience reaction to the first recognizable Tallahassee location (the restaurant where he runs out on the check). Plus a favorite Poli-Sci professor, Glenn Parker, was an extra in the reunion scene - very visible in a theater, on a TV not so much.

Simple fact is Liotta had charisma and screen presence to spare, right from the start.

Edited by Dan Gould

20 hours ago, Holy Ghost said:

Think everyone is thinking Field of Dreams. Liotta. Ed Harris, Kevin Costner, James Earl Jones.   

That was intentional on my part.  That's what I'll always think of when I hear Liotta's name.

2 hours ago, Holy Ghost said:

I'm just messing around. I get this movie and The Natural confused all the time; two totally different actors!

The Natural was an abomination for anyone who read the Bernard Malamud book.  They utterly destroyed the total meaning of the book by so drastically changing the last part of the story.  So much for the concept of the "antihero".

24 minutes ago, felser said:

The Natural was an abomination for anyone who read the Bernard Malamud book.  They utterly destroyed the total meaning of the book by so drastically changing the last part of the story.  So much for the concept of the "antihero".

Yah, but I like that Randy Newman (Copeland-like) score. 

4 hours ago, felser said:

Very true. 

(Off-topic) That's not unusual for Hollywood. For instance, Winston Groom's novel Forrest Gump (which I read long before the movie was made) is much darker than the Hollywood adaptation.

Well if we're going to weigh in manuscripts/books v. movies, my first big let-down started with Copulas' adaption of Hinton's "The Outsiders;" couldn't stand it. Hated the cast, acting (can't stand Ralph Machio, Matt Dillon) clearly the director (Nick Cage's uncle) I was 12 when that crap was released. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the midst of all this, I stumbled across this movie while I was out of town on tv (among HBO's usual run of movies, that I've been watching since I was 10 (Clash of the Titans, Ghostbusters, Alien...,) The Many Saints of Newark (2021) maybe was his last movie, but it's another version of the young Soprano, a good fella like approach to the gang life like Goodfellas was about. I only watched about a half hour of it, then we had plans to do something, but it looked really good. Anyone no what I'm talking about?