That Distinctive Brasil '66 Drum Hit

Teasing the Korean

There is a very distinctive device used on Brasil '66 records that I have rarely heard in other Brazilian music.  

As an 8- or 16-bar phrase is concluding, where another drummer would do a fill, the Brasil '66 drummer hits the snare rim on the 3 and the kick drum on the 4.  Some of the tracks start with this device.

It is very similar to the 3-4 timbale hit in Afro Cuban music, right before the full timbale rhythm kicks in.  

Because I have rarely heard this other Brazilian music, I have wondered if Sergio picked this up from Afro-Cuban music, and asked the drummer to do this as a signature sound.  You can hear it at around 1:15 and 1:43.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I don't think it is that unusual - surdo players in samba groups do it all the time. 

In Cuban music it is called abanico, but with a characteristic short press roll on 4. Some timbaleros - mostly non-Cubans, shorten it and just play a rim shot on on 4 - Cal Tjader had Benny Velarde play it that way. Tjader wanted him to use normal drumsticks instead of the thinner timbale sticks, which make it much harder to execute. In Spanish, abanico is the short trembling movement of a hand fan.

But of course, Mendes and other Brazilians certainly listened to Cuban music - Joao Donato even played in Mongo Santamaria's band!

Edited by mikeweil

59 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

I don't think it is that unusual - surdo players in samba groups do it all the time. 

You may be right, but I haven't heard it on many Brazilian bossa/MPB records that I have.  Maybe luck of the draw.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

In Cuban music it is called abanico, but with a characteristic short press roll on 4.

Thank you!  I love that sound! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...