RIP Leroy Williams

Hardbopjazz

Sad news ... he was on a lot of really fine recordings led by Junior Cook, Bill Hardman and of course Barry Harris.

Plus Allen tells me that he put together a unique Percy France Trio:  Percy, Bob Neloms and Leroy Williams, that played a decent bit at the West End.  Wish I had a recording of that.

Very sad news. I was fortunate to see Leroy Williams live a number of times, and he is also on many recordings in my collection. As has been already said, he was likely the  drummer of choice for Barry Harris.

Leroy has  long been one of my favorite drummers.

I recall sitting with Barry Harris between sets at a club in Toronto many years ago. He was telling me that he really liked the bass player on that gig (Neil Swainson). That led to his statement that he was very partial to playing with drummers rather than playing either solo, or in a duo with just a bass player. He felt the drummer added life and energy to the music that he found highly important.