Horace Tapcott Las Vegas March 16, 1992

8 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Thanks for uploading this. Listening now and enjoying it very much

Do we know who's playing with HT?

It is listed in the description that I posted on archive.org:

A broadcast of Four Queens Jazz Night From Las Vegas, first aired on May 21, 1992. Recorded on March 16, 1992. Featuring Horace Tapscott: piano, Robert Miranda: bass, Fritz Wise: drums.

I probably got the personnel from listening to the show, though I've discovered that during those pre-internet days I wasn't always accurate with spellings of unfamiliar names. Even worse, Alan Grant sometimes wasn't paying attention when he did voiceovers and he would misidentify song titles.

16 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

A broadcast of Four Queens Jazz Night From Las Vegas, first aired on May 21, 1992. Recorded on March 16, 1992. Featuring Horace Tapscott: piano, Robert Miranda: bass, Fritz Wise: drums.

I probably got the personnel from listening to the show, though I've discovered that during those pre-internet days I wasn't always accurate with spellings of unfamiliar names. Even worse, Alan Grant sometimes wasn't paying attention when he did voiceovers and he would misidentify song titles.

Yeah, they list Billie's Bounce as the second tune instead of Oleo

On 09/06/2022 at 3:35 AM, Ken Dryden said:

Thank you,and apologies for not paying full attention to the listing. Too keen to access the music, in my defence...

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2022 at 1:12 PM, Ken Dryden said:

I have uploaded the Four Queens Jazz Night From Las Vegas broadcast of Horace Tapscott to archive. org. I made a typo in the link and I am trying to fix it.

Old thread, but I just stumbled upon your archive.org upload, and I'm incredibly grateful for it! It's always great to hear new Tapscott, and this recording is pretty amazing.

Quick question, I wanted to add this bootleg to rateyourmusic, and they don't allow me to attach cover art to the release page unless there's one in the original source (which in this case would be your archive.org link), so I was wondering if you might be able to upload an image to the archive.org page for the recording, if possible. If there's no way to add an image to the page, then no worries, thank you!

Here's a nice picture of him from around the same period:

Horace+Tapscott+at+the+piano+James+Arkat

Apologies for bumping an old thread.

10 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

This broadcast is not a physical bootleg that I know of but a copy of a satellite recording that I made when I was working in public radio at the time it aired. I wish that I had recorded more Four Wueens Jazz Night From Las Vegas shows but this one was a nice surprise.

I'm very glad you saved this one! In such great quality, too. Do you recall any other groups that played in the Four Queens broadcasts?

I'm using the term "bootleg" to refer to the fact that this recording is currently only available through an unofficial digital page, basically what I was asking is if you'd be able to attach an image, like the one I sent of Horace above, for instance, to the archive.org page to replace the generic photo that's on there at the moment which I've attached. I can't upload an image to the rateyourmusic page as a cover unless the source I'm pulling the recording from was distributed with cover art, which an image uploaded to the archive.org page would fix. Apologies if this is a bizarre request, and if you're not able to edit the page at this point, then it's no big deal. Thank you again for sharing this!

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 12-52-08 Horace Tapscott Trio Four Queens Hotel Las Vegas March 16 1992 KNPR-FM Las Vegas Free Download Borrow and Streaming Internet Archive.png

I will try to get to it the next couple of days. I recorded Joe Pass, which ended up on a Hi Hat bootleg CD, Ken Peplowski, Terry Gibbs & Buddy DeFranco, Toshiko Akiyoshi (posted on my archive.org page), while I was traded a few others that I haven't digitized. This is just off the top of my head, there may be more.

Edited by Ken Dryden

I recorded the satellite broadcast onto cassette so I didn’t own any rights to the music. I am not sure that the bootleg CD was dubbed from my copy, which I traded at least once with other collectors of live shows. I also don’t know if Hi Hat copied my article about this show from All About Jazz, it was one of my Not For Sale columns, to use as liner notes.

On 9/13/2023 at 7:37 PM, Ken Dryden said:

I will try to get to it the next couple of days. I recorded Joe Pass, which ended up on a Hi Hat bootleg CD, Ken Peplowski, Terry Gibbs & Buddy DeFranco, Toshiko Akiyoshi (posted on my archive.org page), while I was traded a few others that I haven't digitized. This is just off the top of my head, there may be more.

Thanks so much! I'll definitely check out that Toshiko recording you posted. Shame to hear about the situation with the Joe Pass bootleg and your liner notes