Johnny Richards / Stan Kenton "Alma Pecadora"

Teasing the Korean

Apparently, there was one more track written for Cuban Fire that did not make it the album, "Alma Pecadora."  It was apparently recorded but rejected.

Curiously, Richards' masterpiece The Rites of Diablo includes a track called "La Pecadora."

Is there any evidence that these are the same tune?  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

On 6/7/2022 at 9:49 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Apparently, there was one more track written for Cuban Fire that did not make it the album, "Alma Pecadora."  It was apparently recorded but rejected.

Curiously, Richards' masterpiece The Rites of Diablo includes a track called "La Pecadora."

Is there any evidence that these are the same tune?  

According to the Sparke/Venudor discography and my own CD version of Cuban Fire, there was one track recorded which was not on the original album, but was included on the CD version.  That track is titled Tres Corazones (Three Hearts). According to Richards,  it was not originally part of the Cuban Fire Suite, but it fits very nicely. 

Again, according to Sparke/Venudor, Alma Pecadora was part of the Cuban Fire Suite but was unrecorded "and presumably rejected as not being up to the same standard as the other charts." 

Since Alma Pecadora was not recorded by the Kenton Band, it is impossible to tell whether it is the same tune as La Pecadora. 

2 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

According to the Sparke/Venudor discography and my own CD version of Cuban Fire, there was one track recorded which was not on the original album, but was included on the CD version.  That track is titled Tres Corazones (Three Hearts). According to Richards,  it was not originally part of the Cuban Fire Suite, but it fits very nicely. 

Again, according to Sparke/Venudor, Alma Pecadora was part of the Cuban Fire Suite but was unrecorded "and presumably rejected as not being up to the same standard as the other charts." 

Since Alma Pecadora was not recorded by the Kenton Band, it is impossible to tell whether it is the same tune as La Pecadora. 

Thanks.  If the Kenton chart exists, it would be possible to confirm. 

Contact the UNT jazz department. The have the (supposedly) complete Kenton library.

I thought I would call their bluff on that when I was in a band one year jazz tenor chair, and the director ask me what I would like as a feature. I told him, see if you can find a Bill Holman thing called "Zoot", which at the time had only been released on the hyper-obscure The Kenton Era. 

The guy looked at me like i was putting him on, but the next day, there it was in our books. 

They've got the Innovations book, they've got the Neophonic book, supposedly Kenton gave them everything, and kept giving all the way to the end.

Even better, maybe, reach out to Terry Vosbein. He is THE go-to guy about the Kenton library, it's his passion. We were dorm mates at NT, and he showed up as a freshman knowing more about it than most of the faculty. This guy was a True Believer of the truest sort and he's only gotten Truer if his online research is any indication. Much respect for that. 

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Contact the UNT jazz department. The have the (supposedly) complete Kenton library.

I thought I would call their bluff on that when I was in a band one year jazz tenor chair, and the director ask me what I would like as a feature. I told him, see if you can find a Bill Holman thing called "Zoot", which at the time had only been released on the hyper-obscure The Kenton Era. 

The guy looked at me like i was putting him on, but the next day, there it was in our books. 

They've got the Innovations book, they've got the Neophonic book, supposedly Kenton gave them everything, and kept giving all the way to the end.

Even better, maybe, reach out to Terry Vosbein. He is THE go-to guy about the Kenton library, it's his passion. We were dorm mates at NT, and he showed up as a freshman knowing more about it than most of the faculty. This guy was a True Believer of the truest sort and he's only gotten Truer if his online research is any indication. Much respect for that. 

Thank you!  Would you have contact info for Terry Vosbein?

EDIT:  Just sent him a FB message.

Edited by Teasing the Korean