May I recommend the Internet Archive?

may1620

I don't know exactly what it is, or who hosts it for what purpose, but I have found some interesting music at the Internet Archive.

It's been very useful for some 10" 78 rpm jazz sides, or 1950s 10" LPs, or maybe 60s-70s LPs that never made it to CD.  Sometimes there are records that I think I might want, but for $$$, and I want to have a listen first.  And it's way too old or obscure for some lossy streaming service to ever be interested in offering it.

I am new to the forum, having browsed a bit.  Please forgive me if this topic has been discussed to death or is off limits for some reason.

For example, Paul Desmond on clarinet, parts 1 and 2:

https://archive.org/details/78_how-long-baby-how-long_the-jack-sheedy-sextet-jack-minger-paul-desmond-jack-sheed_gbia0387440a

https://archive.org/details/78_how-long-baby-how-long_the-jack-sheedy-sextet-jack-minger-paul-desmond-jack-sheed_gbia0387440b

No question its a great resource.   I do imagine you can sample a lot of older LPs on ebay as well but the archive is a great source too. There are many radio concert broadcasts as well.

Someday, I hope to stare in shock when I find someone has posted Betty Mays 1949 recording, Abbey 3007 - Until The Real Thing Comes Along / The Nearness of You, as that is the last (and also the first) Percy France recording I am lacking.

Edit to add: Welcome!

Edited by Dan Gould

I just uploaded this Horace Tapscott broadcast I dubbed from a satellite feed back in 1992 of the series Four Queens Jazz Night From Las Vegas. I wished I had strived to record more of these shows while we carried it, though I detested the pompousness of host Alan Grant and frequently edited him out of the broadcast as much as possible.

https://archive.org/details/Hoarce-Tapscott-Trio-Four-Queens-Hotel-Las-Vegas-March-16-1992

Edited by Ken Dryden
Fixed typo

Donors fund it, it is a non-profit. They solicited me for a donation and since they provide storage for my broadcasts, that's the least I could do, not to mention the broadcasts that I have downloaded through the website.  I think they even emailed me a receipt for tax purposes.

Edited by Ken Dryden

• 1 month later...