BFT #219 Reveal

Dub Modal

Thanks to everyone who joined in this month. Hope all of the fathers in the group are having a great Father's Day today. 

Here are the tracks from BFT 219: 

NS03NTI5LmpwZWc.jpeg

1. Clifford Jordan "Sunrise in Mexico" from Starting Time

Recorded June 14 & 15, 1961 in New York with Wilbur Ware, Albert Heath, Cedar Walton & Kenny Dorham

NTQtNzAyNi5qcGVn.jpeg

2. Dezron Douglas & Brandee Younger "Gospel Trane" from Force Majeure

Recorded March & June 2020 at each player's apartment in Harlem 

NS05MzUwLmpwZWc.jpeg

3. Paul Bley Trio "Mr. Joy" from Turning Point

Recorded in Seattle May 10, 1968 with Gary Peacock & Billy Elgart

Ny00OTMzLmpwZWc.jpeg

4. Billy Taylor "In a Sentimental Mood" from Thank You, Duke! Our Tribute to Duke Ellington from the Arkadia Jazz All-Stars.

Released in 1999. 

OTYtMjIwOC5qcGVn.jpeg

5. Jimmy Lunceford & His Orchestra "Organ Grinder's Swing" from August 31, 1936 

I got this from a Giants of Jazz CD comp that I can't find the image for online. This cassette image is close enough. 

My04MTczLmpwZWc.jpeg

6. Nathan Davis Quintet "Sconsolato" from Peace Treaty 

Recorded May 7, 1965 in Paris with Jimmy Woode, Kenny Clarke, Rene Urtreger & Jimmy Gourley on guitar

NDQtNjUxMS5qcGVn.jpeg

7. Nala Sinephro "Space 2" from the album Space 1.8 

Recorded 2021 with Rudi Creswick on bass, Jake Long on drums, Shirley Tetteh on guitar, Lyle Barton on piano, James Mollison on sax and Nala on synths

Ni03NTg1LmpwZWc.jpeg

8. Jan Garbarek, Arild Andersen & Edward Vesala "Bruremarsj" from the album Triptykon

Recorded November 8, 1972 at Arne Bendicksen studio in Oslo

MS03MzI1LmpwZWc.jpeg

9. Hal Galper Trio "Flamingo" from the album Tippin'

Recorded November 16, 1992 in Pennsylvania with Wayne Dockery & Steve Ellington

OS00NDkyLmpwZWc.jpeg

10. Gary Burton "B&G (Midwestern Night Dreams)" from the album Passengers

Recorded November 1976 at Talent Studio in Oslo with Eberhard Weber, Steve Swallow, Dan Gottlieb, & Pat Metheny 

MDMtOTI2Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

11. Idris Ackamoor & the Pyramids "Tango of Love from the album Shaman!

Released in 2020 with Ruben Ramos Medina on bass, Jack Yglesias on congas, Gioele Pagliaccia on drums, Margaux Simmons on flute, Bobby Cobb on guitar and Sandra Poindexter on violin

MzktNDgxMi5qcGVn.jpeg

12. Eri Yamammoto "The Golden Light (hymn)" from William Parker's Migration of Silence Into & Out of the Tone World 

Recorded January 3, 2019 in Brooklyn

Can't believe I missed no.7, I've listened to the album at least twice whilst the BFT has been up. It's one of my favourites of the last couple of years 

no.11 makes complete sense too now. I only have one of his or the Pyramids' albums so maybe I have some excuse.

But I have little excuse not getting the Bley and the Burton, both in my collection.

I was a great selection 

Thanks, some good music on the selections. I was pretty much clueless on everything and never posted, sorry.

It was a busy month at work...Spent a lot of time on early piano tracks and wound up stopping at #10. So never got to #12, the only one in my collection.:wacko:

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Can't believe I missed no.7, I've listened to the album at least twice whilst the BFT has been up. It's one of my favourites of the last couple of years 

no.11 makes complete sense too now. I only have one of his or the Pyramids' albums so maybe I have some excuse.

But I have little excuse not getting the Bley and the Burton, both in my collection.

I was a great selection 

Glad you enjoyed it. I honestly thought you'd get 7 quickly. But I've been there too with these BFTs. It's crazy how something you know can still get by you. 

3 hours ago, randyhersom said:

Agreed.  I've checked out Ackamoor and Sinephro on Amazon since finding out who they were.  And the Galper had me clueless until the very end.

Both Ackamoor and Sinephro are new discoveries for me too. I think Ackamoor's been around longer but he's under-recorded if anything. This Galper track proved to be unpopular here but I still dig it. 

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

Thanks, some good music on the selections. I was pretty much clueless on everything and never posted, sorry.

It was a busy month at work...Spent a lot of time on early piano tracks and wound up stopping at #10. So never got to #12, the only one in my collection.:wacko:

No worries man. Thanks for stopping by and glad you dug some of these tunes. 

On 6/25/2022 at 4:46 PM, webbcity said:

Oh man, the Pyramids!! I've wondered about that album. Guess I need to check it out.

Some really interesting reveals here. This was a fabulous BFT. Thanks for your efforts!

Glad you enjoyed it. I definitely rec the Pyramids album. Some really nice variation and exploration there.