Matthias Winckelmann (1941-2022)

clifford_thornton

Enja & Steeplechase have both always struck me as lables who came out of the gate strong with a lot of records either by or involving expatiated Americans who carpe-diemed like a mo on the ability to make unfiltered recordings, but then sorta became a pale shadow of themselves as time went on, those people died, and they started having to get people who didn't have that real-time edge in order to continue to create product.

No different than the rest of jazz, really, but lord there was a time when both Enja & Steeplechase were dealin'. Inner City was really doing us over here a service by putting their catalogues out. Now, it's kinda like, oh, THEM again. Every so often, one has a little spark to it. Once in a while.

Still, getting it going in the first place was a most honorable feat. RIP and much thanks to all of them.

yeah, I don't have too many later ENJAs. One I wrote liner notes to was Holger Scheidt's Schwimmende Elefanten, which is a handsome and under-the-radar slice of contemporary jazz.

The Steeplechase CDs of recent note for me were with Kirk Knuffke, Jesse Stacken, Ted Brown, Rich Perry, and Stephen Riley... but I guess those aren't even all that new.