MPS / SABA - Favourites and Recommended

Rabshakeh

Lots of interesting film footage and information about SABA on that ‘Jazzin’ The Black Forest’ film put out by Crippled Dick Hot Wax. Was just viewing it again recently. The book that they put out with it is good too.

3 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, Decipher is a great one too -- I do have that LP. 

Don’t think it sold in significant numbers, Germany release only I think and wasn’t pressed in the UK. At least Edel have reissued it on vinyl recently in 180g.

Wondering if that old SABA studio of HGBS (converted ex noodle factory I think) does guided tours? If so, I can feel a tourist visit to Villingen coming on. Per the footage on the Crippled Dick film, it is/was preserved very much intact.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.Singers Unlimited. From the highest heavens to the deepest bowels of hell in a single artist's catalogue. But as I understand it, the group was label-incentivized from the beginning.

But, if only for the a capella sides, they did right by the offer. 

https://youtu.be/0F3OjZRtmw8

But this, THIS is drug music. 

Magic Purple Sunshine indeed! 

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

TtK -- Even if I don't always have affinity with your musical choices, I LOVE how differently you mine the MPS catalog.  :tup 

Recontextualization, different ways of "making sense" of things.  Right on!

I'm always here for you, bro.

Pete Jacques - "Bacana":

"Young Sound" - Heinz Kiessling

"Little Racer" - Horst Jankowski

"My Life" - Nelson Riddle

"We Could Be Flying" - Singers Unlimited

"Volcano's Daughter" - Nelson Riddle

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

.Singers Unlimited. From the highest heavens to the deepest bowels of hell in a single artist's catalogue. But as I understand it, the group was label-incentivized from the beginning.

But, if only for the a capella sides, they did right by the offer. 

https://youtu.be/0F3OjZRtmw8

But this, THIS is drug music. 

Magic Purple Sunshine indeed! 

Bonnie Herman!

I think piano trios on MPS are much-forgotten treasures.  Fritz Pauer's Blues Inside Out is one of them.

Elsie Bianchi's The Sweetest Sound is also nice.  It is almost decadent.

Yancy Korossy's Identification is a very idiosyncratic yet hard-swinging gem.

54 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

This album was initially released privately as one of two Dauner records produced by Horst Rischka, and it was later reissued by Brain/Metronome. It was never on SABA or MPS.

You're right!  I've deleted my post.

Edited by GA Russell

Puerling's a given. But Farnon sees his depth-bet and raises it yet another notch. An amazing gambit.

Would that all the instrumental arrangers for the SU came to the table ready to play the hand like that. The conversation around them would be a lot less equivocal for a lot more people had it been so, imo.

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned here, I think. I will add Alexander von Schlippenbach's "Globe Unity" (Saba) and "We'll remember Komeda" by Michal Urbaniak, Tomasz Stanko & co.

On 23-6-2022 at 0:09 AM, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, Decipher is a great one too -- I do have that LP. Can't think of too many MPS/SABA records that are actual stinkers, to be honest.

I can tell you that used records bins here are overflowing with at best mediocre releases of glossy MOR-easy listening jazz on both labels. Sadly, these seem to be much easier to find and cheaper than the quality stuff.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

...But Farnon sees his depth-bet and raises it yet another notch. An amazing gambit...

Robert Farnon composed and arranged several pieces in my beloved Happy Housewife genre.  For example, "Portrait of a Flirt":

"Manhattan Playboy"

"Main Street"

Edited by Teasing the Korean