NYT: Richard Taruskin, Vigorously Polemical Musicologist, Dies at 77

4 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

A pest has passed.

Just curious why you say that. I've never read him, and wasn't even aware of him until reading his obituary this morning, but his basic tenets as I understand them--that no music can be reduced simply to the notes, and that making music speak to the audience for whom it is played is more important than recreating the music as it would have been performed for the audience of its time ("historically informed performance")--are sound enough.

riddlemay - Taruskin was sorta like Stanley Crouch. Always argumentative. Never willing to consider that others might have a different perspective. Always absolutely certain -- even when certainty was impossible. 

Even when I agreed with him -- and he was incredibly knowledgeable -- he turned me off.  It wasn't what he said that made him a pest; it's the way that he said it.

Edited by HutchFan

17 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

riddlemay - Taruskin was sorta like Stanley Crouch. Always argumentative. Never willing to consider that others might have a different perspective. Always absolutely certain -- even when certainty was impossible. 

Even when I agreed with him -- and he was incredibly knowledgeable -- he turned me off.  It wasn't what he said that made him a pest; it's the way that he said it.

Well said.