A Random Gordon Jenkins Memory

Teasing the Korean

My Dad told me that in Gordon Jenkins arrangements, when Gordon would play those single-line counter-melodies in the medium-low register of the piano, he would rapidly shake his finger back and forth as he held the final note, as if to give it a vibrato.  Obviously, this is impossible to achieve on the piano, but it must have worked for Gordon, at least in his head.

I once read something by Roger Kellaway in which he said he could alter the pitch of a note by moving his finger on a depressed key. Someone who knew a lot more than I do about piano playing told me this was impossible.

58 minutes ago, BillF said:

I once read something by Roger Kellaway in which he said he could alter the pitch of a note by moving his finger on a depressed key. Someone who knew a lot more than I do about piano playing told me this was impossible.

It is impossible.  It exists in the player's head, but if believing this makes them play better, who are we to judge?

7 hours ago, BillF said:

They're just envious of horn and string players.Sorry piano boys, you can't have everything.