Mosaic to release 1960s Freddie Hubbard set

Scott Wenzel told me a Freddie Hubbard Mosaic is in the works. No release date yet. It'll be 7 CDs with these Blue Note and impulse! albums:
Open Sesame - Blue Note
Goin’ Up - Blue Note
Hub Cap - Blue Note
Ready For Freddie - Blue Note
The Artistry Of Freddie Hubbard - impulse!
Hub-Tones - Blue Note
Here To Stay - Blue Note
The Body And The Soul - impulse!
Breaking Point - Blue Note
Blue Spirits - Blue Note

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They have Impulse stuff before - the Oliver Nelson set included ‘The Quintessence’ being one example.

I too have all of those albums, with most on vinyl but as with the Mobley 60s and the Joe Henderson I will be very interested in this set. Hope they get Malcolm Addey to master it.

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

I have all 10 of those. :ph34r:

As do I.  I'm sure many of us do.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

After they do Bill Barron, they can look at a Coleman Hawkins 60s set....and a Max Roach 60s set.

Or if they need to, both of those in one box. Hey.

Or a Max Roach 70's set with Billy Harper.  My #1 musical wish list dream.

Hmmm...at what point does it become counter-productive to spend money on stuff you don't want/need in order to keep a company in business that is going to keep selling you stuff you don't want/need 

We ain't there yet, but this Hubbard set (a lot of good records, a few not that good, and a few great ones) certainly keeps the question active in my mind.

Let's see what the preorder discount will be this time. I need much more incentivizing with this one than I did the Black & White set. 

I also have all the material, but I'll still be buying the set, if only for the upgraded sound - as was the case with the two previous BN Mosaics, the 1960s Mobley and the Henderson; the sound on those two is much better than I've ever heard on earlier releases of the same material, 

Edited by J.A.W.

1 hour ago, J.A.W. said:

I also have all the material, but I'll still be buying the set, if only for the upgraded sound - as was the case with the two previous BN Mosaics, the 1960s Mobley and the Henderson; the sound on those two is much better than I've ever heard on earlier releases of the same material, 

At my age "sonic upgrades" are useless (to me).

When I first got into jazz around 2003 or 2004, I always wondered why so many older fans seemed underwhelmed by box set releases, because they already "had them all." Now, almost 20 years later, I get it. This would be an awesome box set for someone who only had a little Hubbard, but...you know the rest. 

The one that I really feel a need for a "sonic upgrade" is  The Body and Soul of Freddie Hubbard. I only have that on an older LP, and although I think that Wayne might have over written the orchestrations, but maybe not?  

Past that, other than Ready For Freddie, I think Freddie was far more effective as a sideman than as a leader until CTI more or less showed him that people liked it when he did that. Then, for better and/or worse, he stopped diddling around as a leader 

Bonus points for Breaking Point, but the story about that band playing that music live and clearing the house in one set and Freddie pulling the plug on THAT right then and there speaks volumes, imo  I think to be a real leader, you have to defy people to not like you, not hope that they will like you. Courage of your convictions, maybe? 

A great player though, undoubtedly. But these records are not really the meat of his legacy, imo 

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Hmmm...at what point does it become counter-productive to spend money on stuff you don't want/need in order to keep a company in business that is going to keep selling you stuff you don't want/need 

We ain't there yet, but this Hubbard set (a lot of good records, a few not that good, and a few great ones) certainly keeps the question active in my mind.

Let's see what the preorder discount will be this time. I need much more incentivizing with this one than I did the Black & White set. 

I have all or almost all of these. Just can’t see purchasing this set, plus he’s not my favorite trumpet player. 

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

At my age "sonic upgrades" are useless (to me).

😂